That cool riff you just can't flesh out...need help!

jhonendarc

• Members

**NOTE** New version further down teh page.

It happens to me a lot (and I imagine many other people)...you come up with a cool riff/groove/whatnot, but when it comes to trying to finish out a song you get blocked.

Most notably, I've got this little poppy Death Cab meets Jealousy Curve groove thing. It sounds pretty cool (albeit simplistic), and it's got a fun bouncy groove to it...but I can't come up with a chorus part to go with it to save my life.

Here's a link if you're interested in hearing it. Crappy recording with no mixing or processing, but you get the gist.

I've basically just taken the same riff/chord progression, and arranged it somewhat. There's a intro part, then a quiet verse, then basically a seque that's just half of the intro part, then another quiet verse, then a loud verse. Typical pop-rock 101 stuff.

The only thing is...I have no idea where to go now. I want to try to keep it upbeat and "bouncy", but I don't want to wear it out (actually, I'm already afraid that that initial chord progression is "wearing out" with the current arrangement).

So, what do you guys do when you get stuck like this? For me, it happens time and time again...I've got a whole hard drive full of cool-sounding riffs and grooves that I just can't finish out. I can use any advice I can get...it's just so frustrating to know you have something with decent potential that you can't get finished.

• Members

Well, that was my initial though...but I'm afraid it'll just get repetitive after awhile (I also entertained the idea of it being one of those songs that's just one chord progression through the whole thing, but dismissed it for the same reason). I dunno though, it seems to work for some songs (Blur's Song #2 comes to mind).

• Members

Well, that was my initial though...but I'm afraid it'll just get repetitive after awhile

Have you tried it?

Sometimes I find just jamming around with the chords, you come up with something that is rythmically contrasting to the original riff, and can sound far from repetitive. Worth half an hours jamming IMO, before you dismiss it outright.

• Members

Damn, that's a catchy riff. Anyways, I think there are a couple techniques you could use to get more milage out of a riff. You can take the chord progression and slow it down. Instead of have chord changes every 2 beats, you can do it every 2 measures. Also you can try harmonic changes, like modulating to a closely related key.

• Members

You can take the chord progression and slow it down. Instead of have chord changes every 2 beats, you can do it every 2 measures.

Oooh, I like this. Nice simple idea...I'm gonna jam on it a bit and see what I come up with.

More input is always welcome. :)

• Members

Ok, I think I might have something, let me know what you think.

Take Two

Not sure exactly how I feel about it yet. I kinda like going to a double-time beat for a chorus, though...changes up the rhythm without losing that dancy feel. I added a bit o' production on the ol' geetarz this time around as well (they sounded like muddy garbage on the last take).

• Members

I have to agree that it is really catchy!

Have you come up with lyrics for this?

BTW, what are you using to record this? (guitars, guitar effects, are the drums loops?,etc.)

Thank you. :)

No lyrics yet, but I've come up with some melody lines. It's basically just me humming into a condenser mic...sounds pretty weird right now. :lol:

I'm using a MIM Fender Strat HSS into a Line 6 POD 2.0 direct into my M-Audio FastTrack USB audio interface. DAW is SONAR. Drums are sequenced by hand in FL Studio and pumped through Addictive Drums. Keep in mind that this is a quick-n-dirty job (just for songwriting purposes), if you want to hear what it's really capable of check out this thread.

Archived