Did your hard work earn you quick success?

JSmalley12000

• Members

Hello all. I am currently a bedroom musician working to become a gigging muscian, and if that goes well, maybe try and get some press clippings before I pack it all in. I am 28 turning "29.99" soon, and have been working on my "vision" for 2 years. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years, but only singing for these past 2 years, and most of my time now is spent getting my voice up to speed.

I wanted to know if anyone out there reading this found success after a similar path -- instead of growing as a musician in public, you practiced tirelessly behind closed doors until you knew it was as you foresaw, and were able to get a band going and found warm reception to your work.

I don't mind paying my dues, but I feel that can be done in private. I also don't have the years to burn. I want to get out there when the time is right and start sharing my music with everyone.

Thanks, cheers.

• Members

Well, my experience has told me, that working alone and secluded most of the time is not so good an idea. You need to get out there and see and feel how they react to your music, then go back home and use that experience to develop, then go back again, and so forth. It's not something you can predict from the bedroom. Well, at least I wouldn't be able to.

• Members

Well, my experience has told me, that working alone and secluded most of the time is not so good an idea. You need to get out there and see and feel how they react to your music, then go back home and use that experience to develop, then go back again, and so forth. It's not something you can predict from the bedroom. Well, at least I wouldn't be able to.

That's a good point. I've gotten good feedback from my more-experienced-musicians-than-myself friends on my demos. I don't want to play out too much yet because I'm still getting the hang of singing properly, and I don't want to earn a reputation as a poor singer when I know I'm still developing. I have played a couple open mics, and plan to resume doing that when I finish up a new set of songs, very very soon :)

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

• Members

I agree with macresto, many times I have rehearsed a song to "perfection" only to get no reaction or worse at a live gig. There's nothing like being face-to-face with some living, drinking humans to get an immediate indication of how things are going. If they think it's OK today, they'll like it even more down the road. If they hate it today, time for some rethinking. Why continue to develop something that might be going in a wrong direction?

Also, my experience with "bedroom musicians" is that they often never reach a point when "you knew it was as you foresaw". It's easy to keep thinking that a little more practice, another couple of songs on the song list, one more revision of an original song, and then you'll be ready.

Meanwhile time goes by....

and more time goes by............

and more time goes by.................

• Members

Hello all. I am currently a bedroom musician working to become a gigging muscian, and if that goes well, maybe try and get some press clippings before I pack it all in. I am 28 turning "29.99" soon, and have been working on my "vision" for 2 years. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years, but only singing for these past 2 years, and most of my time now is spent getting my voice up to speed.

I wanted to know if anyone out there reading this found success after a similar path -- instead of growing as a musician in public, you practiced tirelessly behind closed doors until you knew it was as you foresaw, and were able to get a band going and found warm reception to your work.

I don't mind paying my dues, but I feel that can be done in private. I also don't have the years to burn. I want to get out there when the time is right and start sharing my music with everyone.

Thanks, cheers.

...and that's NOT gonna happen. You have to get out there and perform and be exposed in order to experience "success." Nobody is gonna give you anything if you don't get out there and do it yourself.

Archived