A question about grounding

bluesboy

• Members

Hi all. Im getting ready to rewire my Epi LP starting this weekend. I have a quick theoretical typ question about grounding. The previous wiring was grounded to the back of the pots, and i've seen this on just about every guitar i've ever opened up the cavity and looked at. I think (and I may be wrong, it's been awile since i opened up a gibson) that gibson's have a metal grounding plate incide the cavity? In any case, the epiphone has nothing of that sort.

So everything is grounded at the back of the pots, but what grounds the pots themselves? Is there anything special i need to do to ground the actual pots?

• Members

so i still dont understand where "ground" is on the guitar... like i know where to put ground wires from pickups and the switch and stuff, but where is the actual ground that those ground wires are ultimately connected to?

• Members

so i still dont understand where "ground" is on the guitar... like i know where to put ground wires from pickups and the switch and stuff, but where is the actual ground that those ground wires are ultimately connected to?

The sleeve on the cable that connects guitar to amp.

• Members

The point of a ground is to tie everything together so nothing can build up a charge (magnetically/electrically). Since the bridge is a big piece of metal, it needs to be grounded (this also grounds the strings). If you have a grounding problem you sometimes get a buzz that goes away when you touch the strings. Since the guitar isn't properly grounded, you ground the guitar by touching it. The proper way to ground the guitar is to tie all of the - poles and other metal together (bridge, pots, etc). This ground is attached to the negative side of your input jack. When you plug the guitar cable in, this connects the negative side of the input jack to ground on your amplifier. Inside the amp, all of the - poles and other metal are tied to the third prong of the power cable, which grounds the entire system through the house/club wiring into the earth. Whew, hope this helps.

• Members
The point of a ground is to tie everything together so nothing can build up a charge (magnetically/electrically). Since the bridge is a big piece of metal, it needs to be grounded (this also grounds the strings). If you have a grounding problem you sometimes get a buzz that goes away when you touch the strings. Since the guitar isn't properly grounded, you ground the guitar by touching it. The proper way to ground the guitar is to tie all of the - poles and other metal together (bridge, pots, etc). This ground is attached to the negative side of your input jack. When you plug the guitar cable in, this connects the negative side of the input jack to ground on your amplifier. Inside the amp, all of the - poles and other metal are tied to the third prong of the power cable, which grounds the entire system through the house/club wiring into the earth. Whew, hope this helps.

finally, yes! thank you for taking the time to post that... it helped me and im sure it will others. thanks! :thu:

• Members

Your guitar is wired correctly. Additional shielding could be a nice thing
depending on how noisy your cables/amp/efx are.
Ideally in electronics in general it's optimal to ground all components
to one central point (eliminating ground loops) Noise is not usually a problem with a proper electrical system (110vac), cables and amplifiers.

Single coil electric guitars USUALLY produce the most chance for noise/hum with exception to stacked SC hum reducing designs.

Archived