pickup wiring issue

Mesa4x12er2

• Members

Clip an alligator clip onto the part behind where you're soldering. It will absorb the heat that would otherwise fry the inside of the part. This comes in handy when you leave the iron on the part too long, as I've been known to do.

You say you checked continuity, but did you check the resistance while turning the pot?

No i didn't check resistance. I'll do that now. Good call.

I have no idea what you mean about the alligator clip though. Where do you clip it?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No i didn't check resistance. I'll do that now. Good call.

I have no idea what you mean about the alligator clip though. Where do you clip it?

Just clip it to the part you're applying solder to, just behind where you're applying solder.

http://www.brianb.org/images/Scuba/Homemade/NiMH%20Batteries/Heat%20Sink%202.jpg

There's an example using forceps... See how clipping those on, if he were soldering that lug, it would keep the heat from going back up into the battery.

I like the gators cause you can use the small ones.

• Members

Just clip it to the part you're applying solder to, just behind where you're applying solder.

There's an example using forceps... See how clipping those on, if he were soldering that lug, it would keep the heat from going back up into the battery.

I like the gators cause you can use the small ones.

wELL THE CONNECTIONS THROUGH THE FRONT TABBY THINGS ARE EASY. iT'S PUTTING THE GROUNDS ON THE TOP THAT SCARES ME.

• Members

wELL THE CONNECTIONS THROUGH THE FRONT TABBY THINGS ARE EASY. iT'S PUTTING THE GROUNDS ON THE TOP THAT SCARES ME.

Ahhh...

Something else I learned... anytime you're soldering on the back of a new pot, run some heavy sandpaper over it first. The surface as-is usually doesn't take solder that well.

• Members

You know of any good way to suck up old solder? I'd like to get these as clean as possible and start from scratch. Any clues?

P.S. now that you've shown you know what you are talking about I will ask you every question i've ever wondered. Thanks for you patience lol.

• Members

You know of any good way to suck up old solder? I'd like to get these as clean as possible and start from scratch. Any clues?

P.S. now that you've shown you know what you are talking about I will ask you every question i've ever wondered. Thanks for you patience lol.

De-solder braid, or a solder bulb?

• Members

Since I can't sleep, and I don't have the Cobra yet, what else do I have to do? :cop:

• Members

Solder the wires away from the pot, put a blob of solder on the pot... heat both together and they meld.
:idk:

ok cool. That's what I've done. Solder common connection tgether and then hold the iron smashing them down and let the solder run across and through them from another side.

• Members

I both love and hate guitar electronics. It's fun when it works the first time. Unfortunately, there are an infinite number of variables that can make you want to smash it against concrete.

yep. Last time I did pickups I wanted to smash my guitar. I refuse to take it somewhere simply because I like to be as self sufficient as possible.

• Members

yep. Last time I did pickups I wanted to smash my guitar. I refuse to take it somewhere simply because I like to be as self sufficient as possible.

Me too. And I can fix it 99% of the time. I even work on my own laptops and such.

The bad thing is, I usually wind up so nervous by the time I'm done, I can't relax for hours. :confused::mad:

• Members

Me too. And I can fix it 99% of the time. I even work on my own laptops and such.

The bad thing is, I usually wind up so nervous by the time I'm done, I can't relax for hours.
:confused::mad:

Yeah I'm good with the computers. I do tech work for some huge companies and gov't agencies.

But I suck {censored} on a guitar. Way to go me.

• Members

I have an AM job thingy. I must try to sleep. If you can't nail it on the next try, PM me or something. I'm PM'in you my number also, cause I don't know if I ever did.

I'll call you sometime in the next day or two about Friday also.

{censored}ing tired...
:mad:

haha later man. 3PM shift :D

I'm done for tonight. I'll go at it tomorrow.

Have a good one!

Archived