my JCM 800

pissdrunx

• Members

I have an 82` 2204, sound great, I love it. since day 1 I got it I`ve been playing into high input channel, so just for the kicks I tried the low yesterday input and it was really quiet, I could crank it and be on bedroom levels!!! Is there something wrong with my amp? A friend of mine told me that his did the same, and that it is normal, but if this is true, then the low input is useless it cannot be used in a gig nor at rehersals, so what is the point of it?

• Members

If you're able to set your master at 10 and get any real mileage out of the pre-gain, while still sticking around bedroom levels, there's something wrong with your amp.

One less gain stage doesn't mean it can't break 70dB. Or 110dB, for that matter.

• Members

If you're able to set your master at 10 and get any real mileage out of the pre-gain, while still sticking around bedroom levels, there's something wrong with your amp.

One less gain stage doesn't mean it can't break 70dB. Or 110dB, for that matter.

ok, so there must be something wrong, but what? power tubes have probably about 100 hours on them, but preamp tubes are older. I had it a a tech when he swaped the power tubes, and he said that preamp tubes are fine, but this was awhile back-new preamp tubes maybe? and while were at it, which ones? I would like to have as much headroom as possible and less gain, more of a JMP territory.

• Members

Something wrong with your amp. My 2204's low input is quite loud. I used to run a dirt pedal into the low input and could get VERY giggable volume levels. You obviously have to change the settings around from when you were in the high input because at the same settings the low is quite a bit quieter than the high input. Thats one of the reasons using an A/B switch will not work, even if one input didn't cancel out the other.

• Members

ok, so there must be something wrong, but what? power tubes have probably about 100 hours on them, but preamp tubes are older. I had it a a tech when he swaped the power tubes, and he said that preamp tubes are fine, but this was awhile back-new preamp tubes maybe? and while were at it, which ones? I would like to have as much headroom as possible and less gain, more of a JMP territory.

Dunno, I don't think it could be preamp tubes, since the high input runs through all of them too. I'm not knowledgeable with electronics, and of course I couldn't diagnose it from here even if I was. Just bite the bullet and find a good tech.

• Members

isnt pissdrunx some skateboardign gang?

yep, it was my favorite team

I used to skate semi-pro:wave:

As for the amp, I`ll spend some time with it this weekend when I get home, and see if I can get some gig volumes out of the low input as well.

Archived