Weber MiniMass

GuitarHitman

• Members

I'm tempted to order a MiniMass to tame my 18W TMB a little.

I'm not chasing cranked tones at bedroom levels but looking to drive the amp a little harder (amp turned up to maybe 5?) to get a little more gain out of it and a slightly better tone at bedroom levels because at the moment, I don't get a great deal of gain. I struggle to push the normal channel into overdrive with my Strat and the TMB channel doesn't deliver as much gain as I would like at bedroom volumes. An oversensitive volume control (there's a point between 1 and 2 where the volume jumps from too quiet to too loud) makes things even more difficult when everyone else is in bed and I have to turn down a little bit more and then the amp is just too quiet with no useable gain and I then have to switch to one of my SS amps.

My dilemma is I see a lot of mixed reviews about attenuators and the MiniMass and it seems to be a love/hate thing but I'm assuming most of the haters are chasing cranked tones at bedroom levels. I'm just looking to be able to push the amp a little harder to maybe about halfway to push the tubes a little harder but at bedroom volumes.

I was wondering what the general opinion about the MiniMass is here baring in mind I'm not chasing a cranked power amp overdrive.

• Members

i own a minimass for exactly the same reasons

i wanted it to sound like it was on five when it was really on threeish

or sound cranked but actually be on 7ish

you know like you were talking just keeping the volume more usable

i find the minimass is a pretty good atenuator when all is said and done

it takes off a little high end

which is to be expeted with any type of attenuator

but if you have an eq pedal or a just crank the treble a little more than usual you can get it back to pretty much normal

i hope i have helped

if you have any other questions just let me know

Archived