adivice on amp/cab (metal heads)

symeboy

• Members

Hey there,

I really dig the old helloween tone which is immensely similar to the new stormwarrior stuff see:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=onFoZS5gdx0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5ml921S2aO0&feature=related

I get close with my set up

active pick ups-> TS 9 -> Mesa Single Recto -> Marshall 1960b.

I found the cab was great but a bit trebley. I still want a "harsh" tone that eccentuates the percussive effect of fast string picking (like you feel the notes being hit) I like alot of mid-attack but I need a bit of bass!

I read that early helloween (Kai Hansen) used ENGL amps and I know stormwarrior do too. What about ENGL cabs? They any good? Should I stick with GL-75's but move away from marshall?

Thanks for advice :thu:

• Members

maybe not the best advice, but I can get those tones pretty easily running emgs into my jmp1/9200/recto cab setup.

the emgs have the attack and bite, the marshall stays tight, focused and cuts like mad while the rectro cab fills in the low end and the v30s have just a bit of harshness left on top to balance out the smooth marshall compression.

I'm also using a para eq between the pre and power which allows for a lot of shaping...maybe the best place to start, or for that matter, just a simple 10-band mxr eq in the loop could be all you need.

I've had a bunch of different rectos and run a dual with a marshall 1960av for a bit, so I have a good idea of what tone you have going now, it is a bit of a stretch to get the sort of feel and tone you're talking about out of one and I think the recto/marshall cab combo is going to be more shrill and harsh than what you want. if you want to stick with your single rec, maybe check out one of the old mesa mark series cabs with black shadows.

• Members

Thanks devilboy,

Actually, that is damn close to what Michael Weikath from Helloween plays and I like his tone too. I bet the JMP's are hard to come by now?

I used to own a JCM800 but traded it for the Mesa. You totally wouldnt think it but with el34 tubes in and max gain on the "raw" channel (and with my tube screamer) it is the sound I always wanted from the 800 but could never get it to break up enough.

I'm going to get a cab with v30s just to try it out, also will invest in an eq at some point so i have more scope for par eq'ing.

Anyone know anything about ENGL cabs?

• Members

I don't look at brand. I look at speakers and the wood. Egnater cabs have v30's in them and birch wood. It's basically the same cab as a mesa cab for much cheaper and without the mesa name. The guy who makes them used to work for Mesa. They got them at guitar center.

• Members

...You totally wouldnt think it but with el34 tubes in and max gain on the "raw" channel (and with my tube screamer) it is the sound I always wanted from the 800 but could never get it to break up enough.

nice - I always thought that raw and pushed were grossly overlooked on the newer rectos...some great tones there imo

really think about trying the eq first as it's the most affordable solution and offers a ton of versatility

• Members

Devilboy, thanks for the advice dude, you have been very helpful indeed! :-)

I will take your advice and get an EQ. Do you recommend any particular model? Where in the signal chain should I start, I know that there are options for putting it before the amp or in the effects loop. Never had any experience with them.

I wonder how many people use the "raw" setting on a boogie?! Not many i reckon, but for me its my sectret weapon! It gives you way more attack than the "vintage" option (which is also nice in its own way...)

Archived