Guitar Pro 5

Miskatonic

• Members

Does anybody on here use this program? I've been trying to figure out how to get the drums setup so that there are different durations on the same spot. It seems like if I set up a double bass line with 16 notes, and I want to put 8th notes for the snare while the bass drums are doing 16ths , it changes the bass drum to 8th notes as well. I know I could create two drum tracks, each containing different note durations, but I'd like to find out if you can put it all on one drum track.

• Members

I have used GP4 but only for simple single stave guitar comps when looking to tab a piece or put one into standard notation. I never got into multiple staves. I didn't know it could do that, actually.

I do know that Sibelius 4 will do everything you want to do but it's pricey at $450.00 and up. It's designed for orchestral comps but offers the user multiple staves for various instrument options. I have an earlier version of Sibelius that is great but doesn't have the ability to burn to disc. Sibelius 4 does. I mic my version to get a demo.

• Members

Does anybody on here use this program? I've been trying to figure out how to get the drums setup so that there are different durations on the same spot. It seems like if I set up a double bass line with 16 notes, and I want to put 8th notes for the snare while the bass drums are doing 16ths , it changes the bass drum to 8th notes as well. I know I could create two drum tracks, each containing different note durations, but I'd like to find out if you can put it all on one drum track.

You would just put the snare hits where you want them to start as 16ths... Because having a snare hold out an 8th note doesn't actually do anything except the initial hit.

If you want to get more technical with it, you'd be sticking ride cymbals and crashes at different 16th notes that the walking double bass is doing. Like a simple hi-hat beat would be on every first or second 16th note.

• Members

You would just put the snare hits where you want them to start as 16ths... Because having a snare hold out an 8th note doesn't actually do anything except the initial hit.

If you want to get more technical with it, you'd be sticking ride cymbals and crashes at different 16th notes that the walking double bass is doing. Like a simple hi-hat beat would be on every first or second 16th note.

I hear ya. Just put a 8th note snare at every two 16th notes. I'm not a drummer so I'm still getting used to all the time signatures and placing of drum strokes. It's fun as hell though since I can come up with some quirky stuff that actually sounds good.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I have used GP4 but only for simple single stave guitar comps when looking to tab a piece or put one into standard notation. I never got into multiple staves. I didn't know it could do that, actually.

I do know that Sibelius 4 will do everything you want to do but it's pricey at $450.00 and up. It's designed for orchestral comps but offers the user multiple staves for various instrument options. I have an earlier version of Sibelius that is great but doesn't have the ability to burn to disc. Sibelius 4 does. I mic my version to get a demo.

Yeah I probably don't need to spend that much at the moment. I'm just experimenting with some song ideas, pretty much tabbing things that I'm unable to play at the speed required for the song. So I work something out slower and spend the rest of my time learning what chords work well with a certain scale pattern that is being played.

Archived