Anybody used JAN Philips 12AX7WA in a Marshall?

solarburn

• Members

Anyone used these in a V-slot in their Marsh or tried a 5751, 12AT7 or a 12AY7 in V1/V2? Particularly looking to sweeten up some midgain tones with a little more feel at a little less gain. If you have include what positions in the preamp and what happened if you would. Thanks.:wave:

I know we want the gainz but I was interested if anyone ever tried to go the other way for the purpose I mentioned.

• Members

I've used the 5751 in a Laney AOR which is pretty close. The 5751 gives a pretty significant gain reduction and I tried probably every combination from one in any socket to all 5751's. To achieve the gain reduction really all you need is to throw one in V1...it will reduce the gain a bit and alter your tone. Its hard to put your foot directly on the tone of the 5751. It seems pretty balanced to me and would probablymove you towards a "smoother" type of tone. YMMV of course.

• Members

I've used the 5751 in a Laney AOR which is pretty close. The 5751 gives a pretty significant gain reduction and I tried probably every combination from one in any socket to all 5751's. To achieve the gain reduction really all you need is to throw one in V1...it will reduce the gain a bit and alter your tone. Its hard to put your foot directly on the tone of the 5751. It seems pretty balanced to me and would probablymove you towards a "smoother" type of tone. YMMV of course.

Did you like the tone at all? Here is what I'm thinking of trying and I'm just experimenting here so if it doesn't work it doesn't work but I'm gonna try a Mullard CV4024 in V1 and a JAN-Philips 12AX7WA in V2. See what happens...

Archived