For home recording - Fostex or Tascam?

andyhumb

• Members

Can you record right and left channels live in stereo - meaning - my guitar processor has stereo outputs and I plug in to the Presonus inputs right and left to recording me in stereo?

Yes.

Actually, do you ever intend to record more than two tracks at once? Do you intend to record drums or anything?

-chris

• Members

Can you record right and left channels live in stereo - meaning - my guitar processor has stereo outputs and I plug in to the Presonus inputs right and left to recording me in stereo?

It would record them to separate tracks that would allow you to pan and change the volume, or to one stereo track.

• Members

I imagine at most three things at one time - but alot would be just me - so each track would be done separately by me - one at a time

O.k. then a Firepod would be way more than you need. You could get something like this: Firebox and be set for even less $$.

EDIT: Or even this would probably work for you: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB?sku=243007

-chris

• Members

The other one is only a hundred bucks more and I can rackmount it - I think I rather get the bigger one. Is ebay a viable option. Do I really need the software that comes with the Firepod, or do most people just throw that away and use something like REaper instead? I imagine ebay sales may not have all the software available

• Members

The other one is only a hundred bucks more and I can rackmount it - I think I rather get the bigger one. Is ebay a viable option. Do I really need the software that comes with the Firepod, or do most people just throw that away and use something like REaper instead? I imagine ebay sales may not have all the software available

I agree that the bigger one is more useful in general, just tossing out some options.

As far as software is concerned, most likely the drivers are available on the manufacturer's website, and that is the main thing that you MUST have to make the thing work right, so it wouldn't necessarily be required that a used piece came with its software. However it probably would anyhow i would think. Anyhow, a lot of these interfaces come with slightly crippled versions of Cubase or whatever anyhow, and if your intent is to run Reaper, it would be even less of a big deal.

One thing that you would have to get as part of any used deal would be whatever power supplies or bespoke interface cables might be involved. You do not want to have to source a unique power supply separately, and it should be easy to avoid having to do so.

-chris

• Members

I'm not an expert but I do just fine with a small Behringer mixer (

The only reason I could see buying a stand alone multitracker is for recording out in the field or live performances.

Without question a computer based DAW is the way to go. With VSTs the possibilities are endless for drums, guitar modeling, effects and mixing.

• Members

Buy a decent used multitracker like a Roland 2480, D3200!

WHY? PRO's-

Mucho easier to use, and if you need complex routing it's available!

Can be used as a midi interface, control surface, mixer, plenty of routing options.

You can just push record and don't have to f with drivers and bs latency.

The above units can record 8 tracks at a time and provide many studio mix options.

Its hardware! You can always import those wavs into any DAW for final mixes

They are not limited to your pc requirements. Many computers are starved for hardware resources when going above 16 tracks. Add plugin's VST's and watch system resources fail.

Most have exceptional mastering tool kits built in.

They are portable and can be used almost anywhere!

You can mix and burn to cd on board (some units)

HUGE advantage to hardware multitrack like this: ZERO LATENCY monitoring

One of the biggest bitches gripes and problems only solved with hardware is monitoring of a DAW.

These stand alone units kick ass in that department.

CONS-

They are complex.

They come with Phone Book sized instruction manuals. (So do DAW's but they are in PDF).

Cheaper versions have bad mic pre's.

Limited to 24 track operation max.

Limited to 48K, 96K sampling max. Still great if mixing to CD/wav's @16/24 bit anyway.

(Not many computers or audio interfaces can handle 98K too well anyway unless they are topped out

in system hardware and fully optimized in AUDIO only applications). To say the PC DAW is better in this

area is highly debatable.

If you are used to hardware, you'll like hardware better.

For me, it's like midi samplers and hardware sequencers. On PC they can kill your resources. Hardware sequencers are optimal just like more studios use hardware audio mastering hardware. It's superior to software for many reasons. Discrete channel signal flow, better converters, etc.

Simple DAW:

Sonar/Cubase- $500

Interface- $500 ( 8 ch)

Mixer 24 ch- $500 and up

Mic Pre- $150- as much as $5k

Midi Controller channel strips- $1200 and up

Decent Computer Build for DAW- $1000 and up

$3850 ~

VS Style recorder-

used 2480 in VGC- $1500

has VGA monitor options, 2-VS8F3 option support for 3d party plugins.

Can be used as hardware for many DAW applications.

WYSIWYG operation.

Roland was STUPID dropping the VS series recorders! A 32-48 trk would have been the bomb and eaten Pro Tools HR markets! A 2480 multitrack is still a heavy weight machine do it all performance hardware DAW ! There are benefits either way but from a hardware standpoint, many even using the VS series can still utilize that hardware and internal processing in both controller utility and hardware processors for efx, great dynamic pre's etc.

I've recorded live drums with a RME/ Focusrite, Presonus Firewire unit, 8 tracks and had to do them many times. Either a noise issue or some other BS.

With my VS2480, arm tracks, Booom! Done! Then I just import the track wavs to any DAW software if I want. many of the VS recorder utility like VS8F3 and the UA plugin dynamics just smoke anything I have used as a virtual plugin. Plus it does not strangle system resources when working with huge mixes.

Pro's and con's either way. You get a hell of a lot more on a VS recorder in terms of function, options, routing, and hardware interfaces.

They used to go for $3000 and up, now you can get them very cheap. Grab them up since they are becoming more popular now with price/ option quality checkpoints and since a lot of guys incorporate them into live recording work, and as hardware controllers with motorized faders and cool {censored} you pay a lot for in DAW hardware controllers alone. The 8ch MCU from Mackie is $1300, then add the optional 8ch expansions and the controller expansion, now up in the area of $3200 just to CONTROL a gatt damn DAW software!

• Members

thanks for the info but thats a little out of my price range - Presonus plus Reaper will cost about $400 total. The only problem is if I will actually be able to lay down a decent music mix with just that. I won't really know that unless I try it.

By the way, I already own a decent stereo line level 8 channel mixer from Ashley. I don't htink it was cheap. Would it make more sense to first plug into this mixer and then into a very small interface unit - as opposed to going right into the Presonus firepod. Maybe that would just add noise? Why add another mixer infront of the Presonus - right?

• Members

Download Reaper and just plug that mixer into the line input of your PC. You can be recording in less than an hour.

This is true. If you have a nice mixer and only want to record one track at a time, there us a pretty decent chance that you will be able to get a useable latency setting out of whatever your PC's audio card is.

At the very least, you can download Reaper now and get familiar with it before you get deeper into purchasing an interface, you know? And if you have a nice mixer with decent pres you might even get excellent results. certain audio cards work well for recording right from the get go. The Soundblaster Audigy in my desktop works very well for that type of line in recording.

-chris

• Members

I'm a little confused by the diagram at the Presonus website for the Firepod. It shows the output from the guitar processor (in this case a Line 6 POD) inputed into one mono channel. I have a stereo PSA 1 guitar processor with a Lexicon delay unit in the loop - why would I output mono into one mono channel of the Presonus? What would you guys do. Would you take the Right output from the guitar processor and send it to channel 5 and the Left output into channel 6? Would that effectively achieve a stereo signal recording? Or would you add the effects later? somehow - strange. Seems like the diagram makes it look like everything should be recorded in mono. Even from stereo guitar processors. If thats the case - why even use a stereo guitar effects processor?

• Members

Seems like the diagram makes it look like everything should be recorded in mono. Even from stereo guitar processors. If thats the case - why even use a stereo guitar effects processor?

The sky is really the limit as far as how you want to hook it up. You could easily give the left and right outputs from your FX processor separate inputs and pan them in the DAW.

-chris

Archived