Cab shoot-out: Mills Acoustic vs. Bogner vs. Diezel

mhenson42

• Members

Yes, not side-by-side though. I loaded the x-pattern then all 4 gks. I preferred the mix to all gks. I didn't keep all 4 gks in very long, I just knew it didn't sound as good to me. I can't really recall the sound to explain it well enough. The Gks seem to blend with the v30s well. Versus all v30s, it helped to cut some of the beaminess of the v30s and tightened the low-end alot. The tone seemed thicker sounding/more full.

The G12K's are like fancy G12T-75's, right? Like less scooped, fizzy and {censored}ty, but a similar style? Or am I thinking of something else?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The G12K's are like fancy G12T-75's, right? Like less scooped, fizzy and {censored}ty, but a similar style? Or am I thinking of something else?

That's how I'd describe mine. I like them a lot better than the T75s. Less of scoop, no ice-pick highs, huge low end.

• Members

I don't find the GK100s to be fizzy. Compared to the T75s - I agree with mincy.

I'm shipping off the last of my T75s today. Ever since I got the K100s I've seen no reason to use T75s. The K100s sounds great by themselves, pair up well with other speakers (I've used them with V30s, ET65s and C90s so far) and do everything the T75s did, but better and with less downside. And agreed, K100s are not fizzy at all.

• Members

Awesome. How do they sound clean? I'm on a hunt for the perfect speaker for just warm, rich cleans/leads to put in a Mills 2x12 and use w/ my SLO. So far, the best I've heard are the EVM-12Ls, but I'm still on the hunt. Really want to hear some of the non-british sounding Celestions and a bunch of the speakers Jensen has to offer.

Depends what you like. If you're looking for a full, clear and clean sound, they do it well. I think they're missing some of the warmth I'm used to with speakers like V30s and, especially, WGS ET-65s, but clean and clear is how I'd describe them. Very full sounding.

• Members

Sweet! He wasn't doing stereo cabs when I bought mine. That's good to know.

I had added this change about one week into my order. Dave explained his thoughts and why he didn't like to do mono/stereo. He's is very particular about all details on his cabs saying he would only do it if he could get the right components for his design. Turns out he was pretty excited, after playing and testing my cab. He really dug hearing the two Alnico Golds in the 412 space/volume :love:

He hinted this may be a new Mills cab option.

:|

• Members

I had added this change about one week into my order. Dave explained his thoughts and why he didn't like to do mono/stereo. He's is very particular about all details on his cabs saying he would only do it if he could get the right components for his design. Turns out he was pretty excited, after playing and testing my cab. He really dug hearing the two Alnico Golds in the 412 space/volume
:love:

He hinted this may be a new Mills cab option.

So you ordered a 4x12 with only 2 speakers loaded? What's the benefit over a normal 2x12?

• Members

hehe, I have mixed feelings about this thread. I'm glad for Dave, but all this time, I've felt like I had a secret weapon of tone. Even with the same amp, no one was getting my toanz, and now it seems like everyone will have them. :mad:

:lol:

congrats on the cabs guys, you are going to be very happy. :thu:

• Members

hehe, I have mixed feelings about this thread. I'm glad for Dave, but all this time, I've felt like I had a secret weapon of tone. Even with the same amp, no one was getting my toanz, and now it seems like everyone will have them.
:mad:

:lol:

congrats on the cabs guys, you are going to be very happy.
:thu:

I've been weighing this decision for a long time. I was considering buying a Port City 412 but after talking to Dave my decision was a no brainer.

:|

• Members

Give Dave a call. He would love to chat about the new mono/stereo option. He sounded pretty excited.

Hah, I try to avoid contact with Mr. Mills whenever possible. Every time I've spoken to him to ask a question or whatever since I bought my cab, he's gotten me frighteningly close to making a second purchase. Last time I spoke to him I was asking where to get a cover for my current cab and accidentally let it slip that I'd be interested in a 2x12 w/ EVM-12Ls in the future. Three days later I get an e-mail from him that someone canceled an order on an unloaded 2x12 that was ready to ship. He said if I was interested, he'd load it with whatever I wanted and send it out to me that day and offered a KILLER price on it. The dude is fantastic at hard selling. If he accepted credit card I probably would have bought it right there. By the time I got home and thought it through, I rationalized the fact that I really shouldn't down hundreds of dollars on impulse and really have no need for a second cab because I'm not currently gigging.

As a business professional myself, I think that if he set up some sort of online ordering system that accepted credit card payments, his business would jump by leaps and bounds. It is easy to fulfill the GAS with a credit card. It becomes more difficult when you have to set up wire transfers or money orders or whatever.

• Members

I've been weighing this decision for a long time. I was considering buying a Port City 412 but after talking to Dave my decision was a no brainer.

Those Port City cabs are fan-{censored}ing-tastic. There's one of them laying around at a local boutique shop near me that I've played before. I put them in the same class as Mills, where rather than reharshing the same flawed designs we've been using since the damn 50's they've really thought outside of the box to design something unique and much improved. VERY different from a Mills, but insanely high quality and great sounding. I considered one of them for a long time too.

• Members

As a business professional myself, I think that if he set up some sort of online ordering system that accepted credit card payments, his business would jump by leaps and bounds. It is easy to fulfill the GAS with a credit card. It becomes more difficult when you have to set up wire transfers or money orders or whatever.

You can pay with paypal using a credit card. You just have to pay the 2.9% fee.

• Members

Great thread Matt :cool:

I swear I must've gotten a faulty {censored}in' Uberkab man because it just cannot hang with a Diezel cab (front and rear loaded) and certainly not my VHT FB IMO. Hell, my Basson Cab slayed my Uberkab after thinking about it more. I'm going to be ditching it soon and pick me up a Marshall 1960BX cab or may even pick up the new Uberkab when they release it.

• 1 month later...

Archived