Any good Carvin amp techs in Nashville??

Ironhandjohn

• Members

Weekend before last my '88 Carvin X-100B died a premature death. I was strumming my LP Junior on the clean channel, clicked over to the gain channel on the FS-36, and heard a 'snap' from inside the amp. The sound was like a 'snap-pop', remember them? I lost much volume on the gain side, and soon the amp went completely quiet. Both LED's for the clean/gain channel were lit at the same time after the noise. No burning smells or anything I can identify as catastrophic failure. The reverb started acting up right before death, as there was a HUGE difference in the amount of 'verb between the 2 channels.

I pulled the amp out of the chassis and took a few(crappy)pics before I had to leave for the week. Nothing looks burned or broken, the lights come on, the tubes glow, but no sound comes out. The volume loss was as if the standby switch was thrown, sort of a crackly, quick drop.

Ampguts001.jpg

Ampguts002.jpg

I have posted this over at the Carvin Museum, but they don't get much traffic. I HAVE concluded, however, that whatever I did to my amp is beyond my meager abilities as a tech, so I'm left looking for an amp tech in Nashville TN.

Anyone recommend a decent tech in Nashville? I looked at a few local's websites, and noticed that several list Carvin as 'junk' they won't work on. A shop in Franklin looks promising, but pricey..

• Members

Try plugging the guitar into the effects loop return jack and see it you get any sound. I work on Carvins, but I'm in NY. If you can't find anyone near you I'd be happy to fix it.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I'll try it when I get home this weekend.

Archived