Recommend some tubes for my SL-X

DiscoJason

• Members

Gonna retube this thing since I think I've got a bad tube. It's got JJ pres and Svetlana EL34 power tubes currently. I'd like to get a little more roundness in the bass if I could. More 6L6ish, but I don't wanna put 6L6s in it. Been thinking about the JJ E34Ls, but I'd like to hear some opinions or other options. Thanks.

• Members

I'm interested too. I got mine a month ago, but going by the amount of dust on the tubes, they've been in there a while. The preamp tubes were the stock ones. I've changed them out now.

I've got a 5881 model, really happy with the bottom end on mine. Gonna try some new tubes next month :)

• Members

If you want more of a 6L6 type response I would say the JJ KT77s! I bet they would sound killer in an SL-X! That or the Tung-Sol EL34B or Ruby EL34BSTR tubes. I have tried the Rubys and the KT77s, I would like to try the Tung-Sols next!

I am also liking the Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7 in V1 and the V4, while having Ruby 12AX7C5 in V2 and V3. This setup has plenty of gain.

Currently I am running =C=/SED EL34s, these sound really musical and have great bass response, though it is slightly subdued. The KT77 has stronger bass that stays tight, and slightly lower mids than the EL34. It has a cool sound, but my favorite EL34 so far is the Ruby EL34BSTR.

Cole

• Members

I don't own an sl-x yet (i plan to) but i generally hear good comments about EH 6CA7's in Marshalls. Supposed to be kinda between el34 and 6l6 with the mids and texture of an el34 and the bottom of a 6l6 (ok a little less maybe). I intend to put them into my 6100 when i convert it from 5881 - so far no personal experience but in many forums it gets a thumbs up.

• Members

If you want more of a 6L6 type response I would say the JJ KT77s! I bet they would sound killer in an SL-X! That or the Tung-Sol EL34B or Ruby EL34BSTR tubes. I have tried the Rubys and the KT77s, I would like to try the Tung-Sols next!

I am also liking the Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7 in V1 and the V4, while having Ruby 12AX7C5 in V2 and V3. This setup has plenty of gain.

Currently I am running =C=/SED EL34s, these sound really musical and have great bass response, though it is slightly subdued. The KT77 has stronger bass that stays tight, and slightly lower mids than the EL34. It has a cool sound, but my favorite EL34 so far is the Ruby EL34BSTR.

Cole

Have you tried the KT77s? I've been thinking about using them. Ideally I'd like to get a little bit of the boominess of a 6L6, but keep the early breakup and strong mids of an EL34. Think these might be the ticket.

• Members

I've been running KT77's in a SL-X I owned. Sounded great, better than the EL34's it had stock and definately better than the 5881 models. You could try those, I feel it's an improved EL34 in some ways. Also tried KT88 for a while but I had to crank those a lot harder to get that breakup. I would stay away from 6L6's in a Marshall that likes a good amount of powertube breakup. I've always been a major fan of the raw Marshall mids, and the KT77's are great for it.

• Members

^^^ alright, I'm sold on KT77s. Kinda clueless on pre's. I know I don't want JJ's, since that's what's in it and they're a bit too dark. Might just order a couple different sets and spend a day swapping em around.

• Members

Isn't there 4 preamp tubes in the SL-X? I really recommend the Tung-Sol Reissue, or if you want to tame the gain down a bit the Jan Philips 5751. They both sound great. I do prefer the Tung-Sol 12AX7 in my DSL to the 5751 for gain purposes at lower volumes. I imagine cranked the 5751 would be just fine, but I haven't really got to do that yet. I also really like the Ruby 12AX7C5 that I have in V2 and V3 of my DSL, as a matter of fact I this is the best configuration I have heard so far for my DSL.

As far as the KT77s go I have tried them and love them! I didn't enjoy them in the Rocktron Vendetta, but in my DSL they were great! Big low end with a great EL34 type of bite. Though I do prefer the Ruby EL34BSTR to them, but I love my EL34 for that mid bite. The KT77s have a little less mid presence than the EL34 counterparts, though it is still real present.

Cole

• Members

http://www.dougstubes.com

http://www.tubedepot.com

http://www.thetubestore.com

http://www.boiaudioworks.com

These are few places I like to go, Doug has great prices and his selection process is great, not to mention that he has awesome customer support. I also really like the guys over at BOI Audioworks, and they have always sent me great tubes and have never had a bad one. If this happens with Doug, just give him a call or email and he will do his best to take care of you!

Cole

• Members

I just ordered my pre's from Doug's Tubes. Went with a Tung Sol for V1, Shuguangs for V2 and V3, and a balanced Tung Sol for the phase inverter. Should give me a good variety of tubes since I have JJ's and GT's laying around the house. I'm gonna mess with them, then reevaluate whether I want to go with the KT77s or E34Ls. Thank you all for the help.

Archived