Jeff Loomis Guitar World DVD any good?

fistacuffs

• Members

Yes, it is very good. I have it and posted about it a few weeks ago. He somes some good heavy riffs from his solo album and some insane sweeps too. One of them looks like it is in fast motion though it is not. Before he plays that one he says something like, " Pay attention because this one gets a lil crazy."

• Members

He seems like he knows his way around the guitar pretty well so I am sure you could learn stuff from him, plus he seems pretty relaxed.

The solo cd I heard tho was absolutly boring.

your avatar, sig, and everything makes me laugh. i would enjoy a good bong with you, sir.

• Members

He seems like he knows his way around the guitar pretty well so I am sure you could learn stuff from him, plus he seems pretty relaxed.

The solo cd I heard tho was absolutly boring.

Agreed to both. The guys obviously talented but I have yet to come across anything by him that does it for me. I liked his solo album for about a day and then gave it away.

All that said, If you pick up a couple of 2-3 things from the disc, its more than worth it IMO. I might even pick it up for that very reason; just to add something new to the repetoire...

Kage

• Members

I picked it up a while ago.

I'm a huge Loomis/Nevermore fan so I was interested in checking it out.

he shows a couple of riffs from his solo CD and some Nevermore stuff, but nothing life changing or really eye opening.

One thing that is cool to watch is the way he plays through sequences in arpeggios. Nothing new to me but he does it so fast and smooth that it's worth picking up to just to watch him and get some inspiration to go practice

doing it.

Loomis lives in Phrygian dominant and diminished (he even admits this on teh DVD), so get those going up to speed (with his phrases and shapes) and you can cover of lot of his lead playing.

I personally like his solo CD, not bad for a first effort, I expect something

really good from his next one, hopefully he'll branch out a little in his writing.

I can't wait for a new Nevermore CD to come out.

He's the reason I mostly play 7's these days.

So ya it's worth the $11.00, go get it.

• Members

I picked it up but still haven't had a chance to check it out.

I'm thinking that I'll probably be able to dig into it over the 3-day weekend.

His technique is right on point and he can write some devasting riffs, his tone was also huge. The production and 'playing' are all there its just the music didn't do much for me. I felt the same way. If you really dig a shrapnel style release this will be right up your alley, except the riffs and rhythms are super heavy.

Thats why I love the zune marketplace, I checked it out on there using my subscription because people were talking it up a bit. I listened to it and decided it wasn't for me. No waste

• Members

I got it but I haven't opened it yet. He's one of my favorite players, but our styles are completely different and I don't know how much I'd get out of watching him - I bought it mostly just to see him perform in a more relaxed setting, honestly.

Archived