Tried to catch the scenery

Damocles

• Members

Here's a little tune I wrote, inspired by the extreme nature of northern Norway.Any bold,cold,frosted breathtaking landscape will do.

I've never played muted trumpet,as I'm a guitarist..but thought the sound suited this ode to nature.Found room for a pianosolo as well.

The tune is done on Cubase SE-3, and some cheap/free vst-instruments.

It's mostly ez-drummer and Korg Le you're hearing.

Can you catch the feeling I had ?

Do you like the song ?

It's here : called "Finnmark"

www.myspace.com/boquist

• Members

Nice composition. I'm getting the picture of giant icicles and snow-covered villages as you drive by on some snowy, rural road. The trumpet sound seemed to have a bit too much attack it's sound...instead of the round, soft, muted tone it was sounding a bit too metallic and brassy for me...but I still thought that it worked pretty well...might just be a matter of dialing in the tone a tiny bit more.

• Members

It definitely captures that feeling. The one thing I'd say it lacks is any kind of edge to it. With instrumental music, one has to be especially careful not to sound like elevator music. I'm not saying you do, but there's a fine line. I think what would help would be more dynamics, especially in the lead instruments. Listen to any great instrumental solos, and there are some really loud soaring parts and some quiet whispers.

Over all, though, very good composition and orchestration. :)

• Members

Thank you both ! I really appreciate your comments, as the musicians I know personally don't seem to have an opinion on anything other than their own work.I will make the instruments stand out in the next mix,as one said ; it's easy to hear the (f.example) cello line when you know it's coming,but for the first time listener,it is not that obvious, and over before you know it.

The "trumpet" is the work of a vst/Korg LE,from the 80's..will probably sound more realistic with newer vst's.Or the real thing.Harmonica would be nice,too.

Thanks again for listening !

Archived