Played Egnater Rebel 20 Yesterday

scgmhawk

• Members

I went to GC yesterday with hopes of playing the Egnater, Blackheart, Blackstar, Vox Nightrain, Marshall Haze. They only had the Egnater in stock.

Anyway, I liked it. It was definitely LOUD and the gain channel gets very gainy for sure. One thing I thought was interesting was the 6V6/EL84 knob seemed to act as a volume knob. I could have been doing something wrong but the 6V6 was much quieter than the EL84. Not sure if this is by design or not. I'm not great at describing tones but I liked it. And, it's definitely very portable and light.

It remains on my radar, but I would still like to play others before making my purchase.

• Members

I went to GC yesterday with hopes of playing the Egnater, Blackheart, Blackstar, Vox Nightrain, Marshall Haze. They only had the Egnater in stock.

Anyway, I liked it. It was definitely LOUD and the gain channel gets very gainy for sure. One thing I thought was interesting was the 6V6/EL84 knob seemed to act as a volume knob. I could have been doing something wrong but the 6V6 was much quieter than the EL84. Not sure if this is by design or not. I'm not great at describing tones but I liked it. And, it's definitely very portable and light.

It remains on my radar, but I would still like to play others before making my purchase.

What I didn't like about the amp was the lack of channel switching. If mid-gain tones and clean are what you're looking for then the rebel should be fine. The blackstar does the hard rock (as in Thin Lizzy-ish) tones a lot better to my ears. The Vox seems to be a contender but also does not have channel switching. The black-HEART is pretty useless for the price...too much money for too little amp....unless of course you're looking for a good tube tone to build upon with pedals..

• Members

What I didn't like about the amp was the lack of channel switching. If mid-gain tones and clean are what you're looking for then the rebel should be fine. The blackstar does the hard rock (as in Thin Lizzy-ish) tones a lot better to my ears. The Vox seems to be a contender but also does not have channel switching. The black-HEART is pretty useless for the price...too much money for too little amp....unless of course you're looking for a good tube tone to build upon with pedals..

I was hoping to check out the Blackstar. There are mostly raves about this amp. And, it's tough to beat the price. Since you have one, I am looking for an amp that's relatively portable but that I could use to play out (blues jams, etc). Is 5 watts loud enough? I've read Yes and I've read No. I don't play out now which is why I can't gauge. Thanks.

• Members

I was hoping to check out the Blackstar. There are mostly raves about this amp. And, it's tough to beat the price. Since you have one, I am looking for an amp that's relatively portable but that I could use to play out (blues jams, etc). Is 5 watts loud enough? I've read Yes and I've read No. I don't play out now which is why I can't gauge. Thanks.

If you're talking about small rooms, I'd say yes. My concern would be with a powerhouse drummer playing loud metal with 2 other loud instruments. For a blues jam I'd say you can definitely hang..

• Members

I have a Rebel and had a Blackstar. Had them both at the same time for a little while. I kept the Rebel and sold the Blackstar. The Rebel had better cleans and on the edge of dirty sound. The Blackstar had more Brootal feel to it but I just didn't feel much personallity to it. To me, the Rebel's sound has its own personality. I found it more responsive to the guitar's volume control also. Its overall sound made me happier. Everyone may not agree (though they should, it would just be easier that way).

(After all, the Axe-FX has even modeled the Rebel)

Archived