amp question ss content

jw3092

• Members

a friend of mine just called me asking for help about his amp, he has a randall g3+ 300 watt head. he's telling me that lately whenever the volume is turned past 4 the amp cuts out. there is still power to the amp it just won't make any sound untill turned back below 4. does anyone know what could be the cause of this? my only guess is that he's fried something in the amp due to running the amp through the wrong cab(impedence mismatch) for about a year.

• Members

a friend of mine just called me asking for help about his amp, he has a randall g3+ 300 watt head. he's telling me that lately whenever the volume is turned past 4 the amp cuts out. there is still power to the amp it just won't make any sound untill turned back below 4. does anyone know what could be the cause of this? my only guess is that he's fried something in the amp due to running the amp through the wrong cab(impedence mismatch) for about a year.

SS heads don't have impedance mismatches like valve amps do.

They have a range of cab impedances you can use with varying output power, usually 4, 8 or 16 ohms depending on the model.

I see that the Randall has a 12AT7 driven MosFET output so I don't think it would be any different, the MosFETs are driving the speakers.

Volume loss after 4 could be a few things; dodgy pot, circuit protection kicking in, RF oscillation making the amp appear shut down etc.etc. It's not something that someone is going to solve on a forum like this.

• Members

SS heads don't have impedance mismatches like valve amps do.

They have a range of cab impedances you can use with varying output power, usually 4, 8 or 16 ohms depending on the model.

I see that the Randall has a 12AT7 driven MosFET output so I don't think it would be any different, the MosFETs are driving the speakers.

Volume loss after 4 could be a few things; dodgy pot, circuit protection kicking in, RF oscillation making the amp appear shut down etc.etc. It's not something that someone is going to solve on a forum like this.

thanks for the info, i know some of the newer ss randall stuff had reliability issues, and was wondering if anybody had experience's with the same issue.

Archived