Mrak V Power Tube Mixing

mcr23

• Members

So on grailtone's Boogie board there are several threads about people saying the Boogie reps from the shop in Holywood, CA said you could put EL34s in the outside power tube slots like the Mrak IIIs and IVs and plenty of people said if the bias is set to 6L6 then you can run 34s in the outside slot.

They also indicated M/B tech people said it was a bad idea. :o

Who is right???

Yay or nay HCAF? :poke:

• Members

I'm going to call today. The Boogie Board people said the M/B techs said "N:o" but I'd be really surprised that they waited 15 years release the next Mrak and made an oversight this large. :confused:

• Members

I would take the word of a boogie tech over the word of any sales rep or random forumites. It doesn't mention mixing in the manual, only that you must use the correct bias switch setting if using EL34 or 6L6. The previous Mark manuals specifically mentioned mixing of EL34 and 6L6. They also haven't been out long enough to know if the guys trying it are going to run into problems long term.

• Members

I would take the word of a boogie tech over the word of any sales rep or random forumites.

+1.

Though, using EL34s in an amp set up for 6L6s in usually safe as long as the power transformer can supply the additional heater current required and the sockets have the additional pin 1 connecton required for EL34s. If it can't, you can kill your power transformer. At the same time, the EL34s will be biased WAY COLD in this situation and may not sound very good unless those two outer sockets are cathode biased.

Check with the tech people at Mesa.

Mike K

KCA NOS Tubes

www.kcanostubes.com

Archived