Versatile tube amp?

gtr475

• Members

I'm in the market for a 3 channel tube amp and this may sound like a stupid question but:

Does there exist an tube amp that has a "Fender deluxe reverb" type sound in the clean channel. A "Vox AC-30 topboost" type sound in the crunch channel. And Maybe a "Marshall plexi" type sound on the leadchannel? Having all three would be a dream but it would cost alot of money and I would break my back hauling them around on gigs. The best thing would be a combo.

And no I dont want a amp modeller pod type thingy.

Im new to tube amps Im kind of lost in the tube amp jungle =)

• Members

I'm in the market for a 3 channel tube amp and this may sound like a stupid question but:

Does there exist an tube amp that has a "Fender deluxe reverb" type sound in the clean channel. A "Vox AC-30 topboost" type sound in the crunch channel. And Maybe a "Marshall plexi" type sound on the leadchannel? Having all three would be a dream but it would cost alot of money and I would break my back hauling them around on gigs. The best thing would be a combo.

And no I dont want a amp modeller pod type thingy.

Im new to tube amps Im kind of lost in the tube amp jungle =)

Those are three pretty different designs. Not likely you'll get Vox and Marshall in the same amp. I had a Fender Supersonic and I put THE Yellow Jackets in it (those are EL-84) tube converters, so that'll give you some combination of Fender/Marshall/Vox, but other than Fender, won't do any of them exactly.

The V3 may be a decent amp, but I doubt it's going to give you any of those sounds.

Traynor's YCS amps have different voicings on each channel. Clean has a USA/Brit for Fender/Old Marshall sounds and the lead channel has Vintage/Modern for JCM800/Mesa type sounds.

• Members

I have owned a Carvin V3 and a Traynore YCS100H and of the two I prefer the Traynor. I couldn't get anything good out of the V3. It just wasn't voiced for me. Lots of top-end preamp fizziness on it (some people like that, I am not one of them). I agree it is versatile... just not voiced for me. The Traynor on the other hand is voiced more for my style and it has exceptional cleans, a nice crunch channel, and all sorts of gain on the lead channel if you want that. It also has a scoop switch on the lead channel for doing a half-way decent Recto vibe. Very nice amp for the money. You can find them used all day for $550 to $675.

• Members

Rivera are meant to be good for doing Fender type cleans and Marshall sounding higher gain sounds.

Other options would be buy a Twin and use pedals (like a Blackstar HT-Dual or a Tonebone Hot British), or run a couple of amps in stereo.

Archived