Super Lead / Hotplate / Cab Question?

illini

• Members

I just bought a 74 Super Lead.

I would like to run it with two tubes instead of the four.

I am running into an 8ohm cab, so I know that I need to run the amp on 4ohms once I remove two of the tubes.

My question is, can I still run the amp into my 8ohm Hotplate into my 8ohm cab without hurting the amp that is now running at 4ohms?

• Members

You could probably get by with using the 8ohm hotplate, but why pull the tubes at all if you have a hotplate?
I've never had good results pulling tubes with a 100watt amp. First it only drops the volume 3dbs, which is hardly noticeable. Also it loses some bottom end.

• Members

You could probably get by with using the 8ohm hotplate, but why pull the tubes at all if you have a hotplate?

I've never had good results pulling tubes with a 100watt amp. First it only drops the volume 3dbs, which is hardly noticeable. Also it loses some bottom end.

Even with the Hotplate, at 12db it is pretty loud, and I don't like to use the 16db setting on the Hotplate.

My thoughts are this:

1.At 50 watts I can get it to break up a little sooner. Which is the way I want to run it. Then I wouldn't have to turn it up quite as much.

2.Even 3db's will help some.

3.And finally I don't need to spend money on two tubes that I don't want to use anyway.

I was looking for a 50 watter, but this came along, so I jumped on it.

I will have to see if the loss of bottom end bothers me. Thanks for the input.

Archived