Happy New Amp Day, JVM, just finished modding, Wow!

DanielRaible

• Members

I just finished installing the $30 Mercury Magnetics choke, new SED power tubes and biasing, and JAN and Tung-Sol preamp tubes from Doug's Tubes.

stack1a.jpg

This amp is awesome now: really quiet, the top end is smoothed out, no squealie feedback on the OD channels and the bass is tighter. It sounded pretty good stock, the basic sound was there, but it definitely has some potential with these minor improvements. The JAN 5751's in the first two slots made the gain more usable and added definition. A balanced 12AT-7 for the phase inverter slot also quieted things down. I highly recommend these adjustments to anyone playing a JVM.

I used to have an original JCM-800 2203 that I regret selling, but not anymore. Crunch yellow for classic rock and OD-1 green for modern, coupled with a few boost pedals here and there for flexibility is all I need for the Marshall sound(s).

Well, until I get to build some PTP stuff someday...

JEOMK :love:

• Members

Update:

I have been playing for a few days, and the bad part is I haven't been able to find much use out of OD2, on any mode. Whatever I dial in, OD1 always sounds better.

On the plus side, the JVM seems to work really well with an OCD, especially on the crunch channel. This extends the range of usable sounds, somewhat making up for the lame OD2.

Also, I found some cool Boogie tones on Clean Red with the gain dimed and a boost.

Finally, even though there is a dual master control for solos, I seem to prefer using a Fatboost instead in order to slightly change the character of the base sound for soloing. Oh, well another feature goes unused.

I think that the only thing that will replace the JVM for me would be to handbuild a MetroAmp JTM-45, JMP-50, and 68 Plexi, and find an original JCM-800 2203 again. Even if I did have all of those, I would still choose the JVM for live work.

Archived