Pissed off at my Peavey Classic 30 (help requested).

tidalwaveGB

• Members

This might just be a tube issue that I am having, but I'm not sure, so I'm calling on HCAF's experts to shine some light on my Classic 30 woes.

Here's the problem: The amp's volume is sporadically fading out completely, and this usually happens after the amp is warmed up and has been played for at least 20-30 min. If I "hit" the top of the amp with my hand, the volume will sometimes come back, but then other times it will remain dead silent (no hiss, no hum, no buzz).

Does this sound like a power-amp tube issue, or maybe something is loose? A transformer issue maybe? Tone-wise, the amp sounds great, when it works, so it leads me to believe that perhaps the tubes are not the problem (but I'm no expert).

A little bit of background info: Speaker has been replaced with a WGS British Lead 80, and all tubes were replaced roughly one year ago (for the second time, since I bought it new in '05), with a matched set from JJ tubes.

Also, I generally don't gig with this amp, rarely turn the volume up past "neighbor-friendly" levels (I live in an apartment building), and use it for maybe one hour-per-week. I sometimes will boost the lead channel with an overdrive to get some nice grinding distortion, but usually play on the clean channel with pedals.

Any trouble shooting tips? I would like to be able to fix this problem myself, and frankly, don't have the money to pay a tech to inspect it, let alone repair it. If I can't fix it myself, I'm considering just selling the amp "as is" for a stupidly low price, just to get rid of it, and let it be someone else's project. Does $200 sound fair, if I don't want to bother fixing it? I figure that, since I installed a tube guard, Tom's Tube Tamer, and upgraded the speaker, it would be a fair price.

Lately, I have been eyeballing the Tech 21 Trademark 30, which sounds like it might be a better fit for my needs, and should be less costly to maintain. Anyway, thanks for reading, and any help, advice, etc, is appreciated. I don't post much here, but I am always perusing the forum, and have had a few laughs, as well as learning a thing or two :thu:

-Joe

• Members

So, it looks like I should replace the tubes, eh? Thanks for the responses. I'll give that a shot, and if it doesn't help, I'll just hold onto the tubes for something else. Should I just try replacing the el84's, or replace the 12ax7's too?

I had no idea these amps ate up tubes so quickly. At least I am happy with the tones I get :)

One more thought: Being that I am using a speaker that handles up to 80 watts with an amp that barely puts out 30, could that lead to any issues, or am I just being paranoid? BTW, the British Lead sounds very nice in this amp, and I recommend it to anyone that needs more clean headroom. It took a while to break it in, but it was worth it.

• Members

So, it looks like I should replace the tubes, eh? Thanks for the responses. I'll give that a shot, and if it doesn't help, I'll just hold onto the tubes for something else. Should I just try replacing the el84's, or replace the 12ax7's too?

I had no idea these amps ate up tubes so quickly. At least I am happy with the tones I get
:)

One more thought: Being that I am using a speaker that handles up to 80 watts with an amp that barely puts out 30, could that lead to any issues, or am I just being paranoid? BTW, the British Lead sounds very nice in this amp, and I recommend it to anyone that needs more clean headroom. It took a while to break it in, but it was worth it.

Speaker is FINE. No issue there whatsoever. And yes, the Classic 30 is a tube torture chamber for real. Remember too, tubes have no promised life in a combo. You get a year out of 'em you did good, seriously. I had a JSX combo and still own a 6505 combo, I know what I'm talking about here. New tubes will solve your problem.

Archived