Just picked up a JCM 900, but it sounds weird...

Unreachable

• Members

I bought my friends JCM 900 4501 with a vintage 30. I've been playing my board through it and all my pedals sound fine except my dirt pedals. My settings for the clean channel are: Pre-Amp: 4 o'clock, EQ is set to my taste, and the master volume is at about 9 o'clock. The problem is that when I start to move the pre-amp volume up and play with a dirt pedal the sound will almost get muffled. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't sound right. If you put the pre-amp level below 4 o'clock it sounds fine with a dirt or distortion pedal, but any higher and you'll get that muffled ugly sound. I was thinking about changing the tubes, but I wanted to know if this was the source to the problem or if it isn't a problem at all and just the way the amp was designed.

• Members

The JCM 900's used diodes in the tone stack as well so you might be overloading one of them. Unlike tubes which sound great when hit with a really hot input signal diodes often don't.

I don't know much about amps, but does that mean it's using solid-state technology to emulate the tube distortion?

PS: It sounds kinda like if you had a solid-state amp on distortion then you turn on your dirt pedals and play.

Archived