Should I get a wirless N adapter?

jlc1587

• Members

I have a dual band N router/modem that is really fast with my G. I like it a lot but I hear it's even faster with an N adapter for my laptop. It's already extremely FAST and no wireless dropouts. I'm wondering if I'll notice in difference using N over G?

I upgraded from a 2 wire router/modem which was slow as {censored} and I had all kinds of wireless dropouts due to there being so many wifi's in my apartment complex. And I changed it to every channel it had. This one never cuts out.

• Members

If you're happy with G I would leave it as is. The main advantage with N is range and throughput but as you said you have no drop outs and no problems with rangs. I would leave it as is. What router do you have?

NetGear dual band wireless-N Best router I've ever owned. The thing is awesome. It's as fast as being wired in and it will go all over my apartment and really far outside.

• Members

Only really necessary if you need the range, have drop out issues or if your apartment complex is cluttered with other people's networks.

Or if you're an addicted online gamer or something, but if you were, you would have done it already.

Well, my ps3 is wireless going through my G connection. It seems to work fine. I don't guess theres anyway to make it N unless it has that in it too. My xbox is hard wired.

• Members

Does anyone know why most of the time my internet speed is 6 megs? And sometimes it's 4.5-5 megs? I have DSL. And theres no weather problems going on. I thought it wasn't supposed to go up and down like cable? Anyway I can't really tell a difference in speed while browsing but when I go to check it sometimes it's different.

• Members

Does anyone know why most of the time my internet speed is 6 megs? And sometimes it's 4.5-5 megs? I have DSL. And theres no weather problems going on. I thought it wasn't supposed to go up and down like cable? Anyway I can't really tell a difference in speed while browsing but when I go to check it sometimes it's different.

Temperature change, old router becoming unstable, {censored}ty microfilter, increase in signal to noise ratio settings due to line noise/attenuation causing loss of sync at the higher speeds etc.

Could be a lot of things.

• Members

Temperature change, old router becoming unstable, {censored}ty microfilter, increase in signal to noise ratio settings due to line noise/attenuation causing loss of sync at the higher speeds etc.

Could be a lot of things.

Yeah, it don't do it but for a second because when I check it again it goes back up to 6.5 megs and stays there. The router is brand new. I don't use filters on my phone lines because I have dsl direct without phone service and they said I didn't have to.

Still no complaints it's really fast and works great. I just like to test the speed sometimes to see if it's where it's supposed to be.

• Members

Yeah, it don't do it but for a second because when I check it again it goes back up to 6.5 megs and stays there. The router is brand new. I don't use filters on my phone lines because I have dsl direct without phone service and they said I didn't have to.

Still no complaints it's really fast and works great. I just like to test the speed sometimes to see if it's where it's supposed to be.

Isn't sync speed usually (pretty much) constant and just the bandwidth is used that changes?

I've never heard of modems switching between sync speeds within seconds before :freak:

Where do you look to find those stats?

• Members
Isn't sync speed usually (pretty much) constant and just the bandwidth is used that changes?

I've never heard of modems switching between sync speeds within seconds before
:freak:

Where do you look to find those stats?

I just go to speakeasy.net/speedtest But that site won't work for a lot of cable modems that have caches in them. Like a lot of comcast modems. Because it will show you got like {censored}ing 63 megs or something. lol And really you don't, it's just the modem.

But with mine it works with that site.

Archived