When mixing....(panning question!)

thesinner66

• Members

yeah panning tracks to get them sounding big is somewhat of an art it seems.

Personally (at the moment) I'm double tracking every take and I'll end up with 2 takes of the primary rhythm guitar part. I'll do it once with one guitar and the amp set one way and then do the same thing exactly the same with another guitar and the amp setup differently with different eq and stuff. (ideally you'd use a different amp and cab/speaker)

I end up with 4 tracks. for the first take's tracks, I'll pan one of them hard left and the other one about 70% left and for the other take, one track hard right and the other 70% right.

It's working ok I guess right now but I do things differently every song I do and typically do something I like that I haven't done on previous mixes and end up going back and re-doing whatever it is that I did on the new track to all of my previous recordings... it's a never ending cycle :(

anyways, here's one I did not too long ago for the drumjam. 4 tracks all done with the same amp/cab but 2 different guitars panned like I described above.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/36-DJ3_Mix2.mp3

• Members
yeah panning tracks to get them sounding big is somewhat of an art it seems.

Personally (at the moment) I'm double tracking every take and I'll end up with 2 takes of the primary rhythm guitar part. I'll do it once with one guitar and the amp set one way and then do the same thing exactly the same with another guitar and the amp setup differently with different eq and stuff. (ideally you'd use a different amp and cab/speaker)

I end up with 4 tracks. for the first take's tracks, I'll pan one of them hard left and the other one about 70% left and for the other take, one track hard right and the other 70% right.

It's working ok I guess right now but I do things differently every song I do and typically do something I like that I haven't done on previous mixes and end up going back and re-doing whatever it is that I did on the new track to all of my previous recordings... it's a never ending cycle
:(

anyways, here's one I did not too long ago for the drumjam. 4 tracks all done with the same amp/cab but 2 different guitars panned like I described above.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/36-DJ3_Mix2.mp3

I've been doing "panning" via L and R volume lately. I hesitate doing mid panning because I don't want the exact same thing on either side ever. Even if it's the same part I'll do something different on the other side. Seems to really widen without having to try. That being said your stuff always sounds great. I'd love to play around with one of your tracks one day.

• Members

Fwiw, I originally did four rhythm tracks for the first tune on my Myspace page, but I discovered (quite by accident) that when I got rid of two of 'em, the whole stereo image really came to life & the song sounded much bigger.

Take that with however much salt seems appropriate, as I am still very much a recording n00b (as shown by the aforementioned Myspace page, lol!).

Chris

• Members

I've spent all day mixing. Right now my mixdown is burning onto a disc. I'm pretty happy w/ what I've got so far. I've yet to hear the songs on a regular stereo (like my veh). I gave one rough mix on a song for reference to see if I was heading in the right direction. And I was pleased w/ what I had. I just need a bit more volume for the guitar on the left side and overall more bass/mids and less treble. So...on the master I boosted what I needed.

I'm kind of too tired to put all the wav files on another computer, so I'll keep you posted as to when it'll be up Mesa.

A good frame of reference is Helmet/Unsane like early 90's NYC metal/noise bands as far as mixing is concerned.

Archived