Haze 40 overheating issue

GodofWar

• Members

As a matter of general habit, with all of my tube amps, I always run a small Vornado Vortex fan when I am playing (even when it is on Standby). I position the fan in the back, to blow some air across the tubes and chassis. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a nice steady flow to keep the air moving, and to prevent any hot air stagnating in the chassis, due to poor heat rejection design.

I feel that it helps the tubes last longer...and it certainly helps mitigate any potential over-heating problems (I have never had them). I owned the Marshall Haze 40 Watt combo for about two weeks, and I used the fan whenever I played it. Never had a problem. I DID in fact note that, without the cooling fan, that the top of the amp combo and top rear chassis got real, REAL hot.

I ended up selling the amp to my friend. Not because I was unhappy with it, but because I needed to unload some gear, and the Haze had been pretty much an impulse purchase. I have enough gear, and times are tough, so it now is at my friends...but at least it has a good home. For what it's worth, I thought the Haze combo was just fine. It is a great little tube amp which is very versatile, due to the built-in digital FXs (post pre-amp). Combined with a good OD pedal, I could get some serious gain, sustain, and some very decent tones.

• Members

Actually, that's not what you said, but thanks anyway.

There are plenty of great amps out there, i hope you find one that does what it's suppose to.

And if i could make a suggestion, you won't have those problems with an old JMP, or JCM 800 head or combo thats in good shape, sounds like Marshall hasn't worked out the bugs from thier import line.:cop::poke::idea:

• Members

There are plenty of great amps out there, i hope you find one that does what it's suppose to.

And if i could make a suggestion, you won't have those problems with an old JMP, or JCM 800 head or combo thats in good shape, sounds like Marshall hasn't worked out the bugs from thier import line.
:cop:
:poke:
:idea:

My last Marshall was a 100W '69 bass head that I had rewired to my specs & a '73 double stack w/ the Celestions. I also have a Peavey Blues Classic & a Fender Blues Junior. Used to be a Twin. The amp in question is owned by a guy w/ three other Marshalls, couple of Mesa Boogies & several others, mostly older. The idea was getting a smaller tube amp that had the qualities we were looking for. The amp seemed like it fit pretty well until those problems popped up & I was looked for valid information to find out if it was an anomoly or w/ that particular series of amps. There's some great info in that regard in this thread that is helpful, &, like a lot of threads in HC, posts that are there simply because people are dicks. I don't think you are as big a dick as seemed apparent initially.

• Members

As a matter of general habit, with all of my tube amps, I always run a small Vornado Vortex fan when I am playing (even when it is on Standby). I position the fan in the back, to blow some air across the tubes and chassis. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a nice steady flow to keep the air moving, and to prevent any hot air stagnating in the chassis, due to poor heat rejection design.

I feel that it helps the tubes last longer...and it certainly helps mitigate any potential over-heating problems (I have never had them). I owned the Marshall Haze 40 Watt combo for about two weeks, and I used the fan whenever I played it. Never had a problem. I DID in fact note that, without the cooling fan, that the top of the amp combo and top rear chassis got real, REAL hot.

I ended up selling the amp to my friend. Not because I was unhappy with it, but because I needed to unload some gear, and the Haze had been pretty much an impulse purchase. I have enough gear, and times are tough, so it now is at my friends...but at least it has a good home. For what it's worth, I thought the Haze combo was just fine. It is a great little tube amp which is very versatile, due to the built-in digital FXs (post pre-amp). Combined with a good OD pedal, I could get some serious gain, sustain, and some very decent tones.

Yeah, I've done that too. The first couple of times we used that amp, we didn't notice a heat problem. I'm just trying to isolate where the issue arises to see if it's a design or a manufacturing problem.

Archived