Cobra, JCM 800, and 5150II mix

Invicta

• Members

My band has a new demo song on myspace that is a preview of what's coming on the new record.

The amps used were my Framus Cobra, a JCM 800, and a 5150II. Each amp was slightly boosted with a BOSS 7 band graphic and played through a Marshall 1960 cab with V30's and 75's. A SM57 was placed on both types of speakers and the recorded tone is a blend of both mics. The Cobra is on the left, JCM 800 down the middle, and 5150II on the right.

Please keep in mind that this is not a completed version, and the vocals were done in about 20 minutes with a SM58. The vocalist did a hell of a job in my opinion considering that he had only been with the band for two weeks prior to the recording.

The song is called "Disconnected", and here is the link: http://www.myspace.com/invictaveritasmetal

• Members

If anyone cares, the guitars were as follows:

Jackson Dinky - BL-L500XL bridge/Duncan Jazz neck pickups -> Framus Cobra

Ibanez RG320ex - EMG 85 bridge/EMG 81 neck pickups -> JCM 800

Gibson SG faded - stock pickups -> 5150II

• Members

The guitars sound pretty cool man, and your singer too, but the drums sound buried and I don't hear any bass.

The playing (all around) sounds badass and the vocals are very cool but your mix is killing me.

:thu:

Thanks for the input, it is helpful. The mix sounds much better when it is full quality and played through a decent system, but it is still a work in progress so it should improve. I listened to it in my car during my drive today, and it sounds drastically better than when I listen to it through myspace.

EDIT: I listened again, and I am not sure this is the same mix that I have on disc. I really noticed the bass and drums being buried now that you mentioned it.

• Members
Thanks for the input, it is helpful. The mix sounds much better when it is full quality and played through a decent system, but it is still a work in progress so it should improve. I listened to it in my car during my drive today, and it sounds drastically better than when I listen to it through myspace.

EDIT: I listened again, and I am not sure this is the same mix that I have on disc.
I really noticed the bass and drums being buried now that you mentioned it.

It's a shame because your drummer is pretty {censored}ing awesome! :thu:

Looking forward to hearing the finished product man.

• Members
It's a shame because your drummer is pretty {censored}ing awesome!
:thu:

Looking forward to hearing the finished product man.

Thanks again. There are more songs coming. There are four other songs that are at the same stage as this one, plus some other songs that are in the writing process.

• Members

The guitars sound good, but the overall mix is very tiring to the ears.

Too much 4-6 kHz coupled with maxed limiter settings make my ears bleed.

To me the drums aren't buried? Unless you've updated the clip. The bass guitar could be way louder or you could eq in some 800-1 kHz to bring it out more.

• Members

The guitars sound good, but the overall mix is very tiring to the ears.

Too much 4-6 kHz coupled with maxed limiter settings make my ears bleed.

To me the drums aren't buried? Unless you've updated the clip. The bass guitar could be way louder or you could eq in some 800-1 kHz to bring it out more.

This, except that the drums are too low, except for the kick. The kick is loud, but the snare is pretty far in the back. No bass, turning it up the mix would fill out that gap that's in the mix.

Archived