a Day or Re-coning (speakers)

Gone_Acoustic

• Members

This is actually about a Hammond Organ speaker, but I figured guitar folks probably would know more about speakers in general.

we picked up a Hammond M3 (free), it has a 12" alnico speaker, but the speaker has a tear in the cone. I know I can try gluing it, but i'm not sure it would have the best sound...

i did a little googling and reconing jobs or a reconing kit for a 12" can end up pretty costly.

I could potentially just find another Hammond speaker, but if I don't, how hard is it to DIY? I figured, I could find a similar speaker and use its cone or is this not practical?

Obviously, if I find a good speaker of the same impedance, I could just replace, but what if the speaker is different (but an organ speaker), is that cone going to work in this speaker cage?

How about a new or reissue vintage GUITAR speaker, is that a bad idea? I know that Hammond designed their own speakers, because unlike guitar, these have to be able to handle bass frequencies too, so I'm not sure.

all ideas appreciated.

• Members

i took a pic and while uploading it noticed something i didn't notice (but suspected from the look of the speaker): it's a P12Q! a Jensen (and here I thought Hammond "designed" this).

I did some reading and these are quite sought after, this one is made in 1950. I am now regretting that I can't keep it for a guitar amp! :love: But we need to make this organ work.

i guess it makes it worth a recone, huh?

1258398151-hammond12speaker.JPG

Archived