Complications - Yet another in the backlog

Oswlek

• Members

Even beyond partially crafted works, I have enough demo {censored} already uploaded to youtube to keep this forum swimming in Oswlek threads for days. Lucky for everyone I'm too decent a guy to flood the waters like that. :cool:

Here is one that I really dig and hope to get to some time soon. It is mostly V3 that I am unsure about. Does it sound artfully phrased? Or just purposely jumbled to force a rhyme?

Of course all other feedback is welcome. :wave:

[video=youtube;3ohqtr4y1GI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohqtr4y1GI

V1

I got your note today

Seems you had so much to say {and now I}

I have decisions to make

Did we really change since splitting ways?

V2

We've been through this before

You were always wanting more {and now you're}

You're back at my door

Is it worth the risk I can't say for sure

B

Are better days ahead?

Your letter says we'll start again make ammends and I'll know when

We set the past ablaze

Instead, there's always

R

Complications

V3

Rereading over again

Walls built up begin to bend

Rivers through canyons that flow

Don't erode the Earth like you my self-control

B

Are better days ahead?

Your letter says we'll start again make ammends and I'll know when

We set the world ablaze

Instead, there's always

R

Complications

• Members

:poke:

Do you often find yourself at a door with an ex?

I'd loose that reference because it feels like you just did one with that same imagery.

V3 is my favorite. It has powerful specific language. You might need to restructure one line. As it stands now if sounds like the canyons are flowing.

Through canyons the rivers flow

• Members

I do tend to repeat myself, don't I? Didn't even realize there was some overlap. :facepalm:

Is "Oh You Wait" really a good enough reason to cut something that works out of here? If I were going to release them together, perhaps, but this is purely a hobby for me so not working within the framework of the song would be more motivating for me.

You might need to restructure one line.

Dammit. I mean, I was expecting that, but it just sings so well...

I can't make your suggestion work, but one that does, "Canyons and rivers that flow" doesn't make much sense in the context of the next line. How do canyons cause erosion?

• Members

I do tend to repeat myself, don't I? Didn't even realize there was some overlap.
:facepalm:

Is "Oh You Wait" really a good enough reason to cut something that works out of here? If I were going to release them together, perhaps, but this is purely a hobby for me so not working within the framework of the song would be more motivating for me.

Dammit. I mean, I was expecting that, but it just sings so well...

I can't make your suggestion work, but one that does, "Canyons and rivers that flow" doesn't make much sense in the context of the next line. How do canyons cause erosion?

Fair enough.

Canyons holding rivers that flow

dont erode like my self control

• Members

Rereading over again

Walls built up begin to bend

Rivers through canyons THEY flow

BUT don't erode the Earth like you my self-control

i think this clears it a bit? Not overly convinced on "like you my self control" i know what you're saying but it sounds and sings a little wonky

Basically saying that this person has the ability to weaken my resolve.

It really is similar to the last one I wrote.

• Members

Hi, Justin.

The lyric isn't the same as your new one, though there are similarities. No need to throw this song out.

I think "You Hold Me Down" is a much better, more polished lyric, the kind that hits every word just write and makes each phrase count. This one is still fumbling with how to say what it wants to say.

The erosion lines don't work because you're forcing the metaphor. (That's probably why it doesn't fit the tune, btw.) But lyrical problems aside, this is a really good tune.

LCK

• Members

Hi, Justin.

The lyric isn't the same as your new one, though there are similarities. No need to throw this song out.

I think "You Hold Me Down" is a much better, more polished lyric, the kind that hits every word just write and makes each phrase count. This one is still fumbling with how to say what it wants to say.

The erosion lines don't work because you're forcing the metaphor. (That's probably why it doesn't fit the tune, btw.) But lyrical problems aside, this is a really good tune.

LCK

Thanks, Lee. It is a fun song to belt out.

Is there anything in here you feel is worth building around?

Archived