First demo is too soft, second demo is too aggressive

JimDC

• Members

Hey guys, this is my second (and last) post for tonight.

I'm working on a song in which the subject matter is, in short, basically when you (the guy) are having a horrible time, and need to lean on your woman for a bit. So, it's a tender kind of song, but with a bit of angst. It's not a wimpy song by any means; you'll just have to trust me.

Problem is, my first demo used a type of organ and subdued electronic drum (just like a dub kick, and another higher-pitched dub kick for the snare), with an electric guitar, felt a little too thin. Second demo a friend was suggesting more rock elements to thicken it up, and so I used an acoustic kit (kick + snare + steady high hat) and it feels too aggressive for the mood of the song.

Short of actually hearing the demos, I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem, and what you did to successfully bridge the two. I'm heading home now, to try a different electronic kit, or see if I can get by with the drums being mostly just an acoustic kick, but I'm just really frustrated at the moment, and looking for some wisdom.

Thanks!

• Members

I have sometimes gone back and forth with the same issue. My thinking however is to start with the one that feels right, then work with that. In your example, you say 2nd demo was too aggressive. So I think the answer is right there. Build demo 1 up.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I appreciate it! Kinda what I was thinking. But, helps to hear it from someone else. Cheers.

Archived