Any G&L ASAT Deluxe Owners?

Mr Lucky Pants

• Members

I'm very intrigued by this guitar and am curious to find out more about what others think of it. I play in a hard rock/psychedelic rock band and need a lot of versatility - Heavy and mellow sounds. I've been looking for a guitar that can cover some other sonic territory than my Gibson Les Paul Custom...

• Members

I have an ASAT Deluxe and they're GREAT guitars. Mine has a pretty balanced sound overall. Really good for all rock styles and metal. I even played some country with the coil tap on the bridge.

Can't recommend them enough. Really good fiddles' :thu:

• Members

I have an ASAT Deluxe and they're GREAT guitars. Mine has a pretty balanced sound overall. Really good for all rock styles and metal. I even played some country with the coil tap on the bridge.

Can't recommend them enough. Really good fiddles'
:thu:

Cool, I'm a Les Paul-coholic...I'm pretty much between the ASAT Deluxe and the Legacy HB right now. I can't demo them locally, so am trying to find out as much as I can so I can make an informed decision. I'm not real into the Fender 'quack' and I've been hearing that these G&L's don't really have that, which is good news. Do you have any clips of your ASAT by any chance?

• Members

I dont unfortunately, and can't make any because I need a new nut for mine. Getting a bit of string buzz so I'm gonna have to replace it soon.

HOWEVER, I can say that I bought my ASAT around the same time I got my 74' Les Paul custom, and I put down the Les Paul for quite some time in favor of the ASAT. It's a really awesome guitar. I picked mine up on eBay from a guy who had it custom built from G&L so the specs are a bit different (binding, pickups) but I'm pretty sure that the bodies they use are mahogany. They have that real meaty sound that punches through better than an LP but doesnt have that Fender "quack" you were referring to.

Another G&L that I have that I LOVE is my 84' Superhawk. They're basicially the same as the Rampage but have a neck pickup. Probably one of the smoothest guitars I've ever played. If you can find one, they would be totally worth checking out.

Here's a great video for tone of the ASAT Deluxe in general. I believe it's coil tapped as well, but pretty nice tone none the less.

• Members

thanks. sounds great. the thinness and quack are the biggest gripes i have with the fenders, so this should be good if i decide to go with it. i am considering a rampage, too, but the lack of pickups/sounds has me a bit turned off...i'm a cantrell fan, so i'm sure i'd like that one, too. never heard of the superhawk.

• Members

I'm a Cantrell nut as well, which is what turned me on to G&L Guitars and Bogner amps :)

Although I've changed my amps quite a bit, G&L Guitars are still some of my favorites. The Rampage is cool and all, but I use the neck pickup quite a bit. That's what is so great about the Superhawk. It's got such a good chunky sound, and I can flip it over to the neck for some warm soloing.

The only thing that took some getting used to with the ASAT Deluxe was the flat top. I've played LP's since I was a teenager and was used to the feel of an arch topped guitar, but it's not too huge of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a Cantrell nut as well, which is what turned me on to G&L Guitars and Bogner amps
:)

Although I've changed my amps quite a bit, G&L Guitars are still some of my favorites. The Rampage is cool and all, but I use the neck pickup quite a bit. That's what is so great about the Superhawk. It's got such a good chunky sound, and I can flip it over to the neck for some warm soloing.

The only thing that took some getting used to with the ASAT Deluxe was the flat top. I've played LP's since I was a teenager and was used to the feel of an arch topped guitar, but it's not too huge of a difference.

Yeah, I play Bogners, too. I have a feeling the G&L's might not be girthy enough for me, though.

Archived