A Couple Original Prog-ish Tunes (Rough cuts) Would like some feedback/criticism/etc

ak47dragunov

• Members

Spiral Staircase: I like everything about the score you wrote; if I was to criticize anything it would be the production, and that's probably only a matter of taste. I feel like the effects on certain guitar parts blur the sound, and I personally don't like that. I almost never use chorus/phaser/flanger effects for that reason, and also because I feel like they're one-trick ponies.

Convert To Energy: Same as Spiral Staircase. I might add that I find synths inadequate in metal, even prog metal. Organ-like synths are fine, as long as they don't sound too... synthetic; watch the piano as well, because that can get cheesy fast (that seems to have a lot to do with the quality of your piano though). Also, if you could do without that bluesy riff around 6:43 or change it to something more eerie, I think it would fit in better.

Division of Sorts: I'll mostly let someone else write about this one because I have a hard time saying something useful about it. The piano break here is nice, too bad the softsynth is so bad.

In general, I would say your structures are a little confusing, but that's the kind of thing that you get used to after listening to an album/piece a handful of times.

Archived