Isolation Boxes

Wodahs

• Members

I am seriously considering doing a DIY Isolation box to fit my entire Mesa 2x12 into. I really have no way to crank up the amp to record. I am assuming my cost will be around $200. I am not really sure what to take into account when designing it to get the best possible sound out of it.

I am still working out dimensions. What would be better for sound absorbtion, plywood or MDF? I am only doing one layer, and it must fit through a door =P. Also, would 2" acoustic foam be enough?

I also have some of the puffy green soundproof drywall insulation. I don't know much about it, but if I compressed it to take up minimal space, would it still retin its soundproofing qualities or does it need the area to produce results?

Also, if anyone has random tips to take into account for maximum recording awesomeness, feel free to share.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

• Members

I'd get more rigid foam, since fiberglass insulation is so nasty to deal with. I posted a thread a week or so ago about a studio that used an old freezer with a lift up lid. Already soundproofed. There's several YouTube vids of building iso boxes. Seems like you'd be better off grabbing an inexpensive 1 12 cab to use though. Keep it in there all the time, mic'd up.

• Members

You mean one of those large chest freezers? I didn't know those were already soundproof. I have one though it is currently in use heh. Any thought on the minimum thickness of plywood I should use? I have seen one build that consisted of 1" thick MDF. Not sure what would be best.

Archived