I go through bouts of depression when writing a lot

Flux Capacitor

• Members

I write a lot of very sad, very bleak songs. This isn't necessarily because I'm depressed. It's part of a personal workshop I've been doing for about 20 years or so, trying to write in the vein of the songs from some of Sinatra's LPs for Capitol Records: In the Wee Small Hours, Only the Lonely, Where Are You?, etc.

One of the saddest songs I've written in the time I've been workshopping here is "The Life of the Human Body," which isn't like anything else I've ever written. The words, chords and melody came to me all at once, without my even knowing what the song was about. To me it was just an exercise in writing a lyric with no rhymes. It was only when I got to the end of the song, and needed a "capper," that I realized I was "writing" about my mother's passing, something that took me totally by surprise.

I haven't just written sad songs though. Of the ones I've written while using this forum "Brooklyn Sunday" was a happy song. So was "Benny Goodman in Idaho Falls." There are others, too.

I find that there can be a therapeutic effect working on any song, happy or sad, or in-between.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's nice to hear everyone's take/experence this subject.

I think, music or not, I'm {censored}ed in the head. I try to detach myself from emotion, but am a very emotional person. I write songs about boobs, poop, food, pooping, humping, poop stains, getting drunk and pooping accidentally; but I am much more of serious person than those subjects would indicate.

I don't know. It just seems that I am a happier, more well-adjusted human when I'm not writing. I don't know how to explain it.

Archived