Peavey Vypyr any good?

45below

• Members

Hey guys,

I searched and found some threads stating that the Vypyr was prone to malfunction. I was wondering if they still are like that.

Reason being I'm looking to upgrade my guitar setup on a budget. I'll hopefully end up using it for gigging, recording, and micing the amp through a PA system. It also has to have a footpedal to switch between presets mid-song. I want some semi-pro gear, although it can't be too spendy (under $400) (probably an oxymoron I know, but you can't stop dreaming right? ;) )

Will the peavey vypyr and footpedal work for what I want? What is your take on the sound? Is there anything better out there in the price range that I want?

:blah: haha. Kudos to you guys for helping a newbie.

• Members

I've got a tube 60 with SAMPERA 2 Switch. I don't gig it, but it has been very reliable-- 1 1/2 years and it is plenty loud, I'd mic it though if I were to gig it-- Hell, I'd mic any gigging amp though. The Vypyr Tube will work for ya, not sure about the SS though.

• Members

Are there any differences other than wattage? I thought the 75 had more features?

I thought the 30 and 75 were the same except a bigger speaker. The 15 is the one that doesn't have as many features. I could be wrong though.

Nevermind. I'm an idiot. The 75 does have a few more features and the same size speaker :freak:

The 75 has Power Sponge technology and a USB. Thats it though.

• Members

Im kinda a snob when it comes to gear, but when I plugged into one at my local GC, I was blown away with its sound and features for the small price it carries. I took a 75 home for practice purposes and it gets equal amount of time with my HT5.

I just had the same experience at GC... plugged into it for grins, and was kinda blown away. It's very usable for bedroom playing, and probably more.

• Members

I just had the same experience at GC... plugged into it for grins, and was kinda blown away. It's very usable for bedroom playing, and probably more.

Yeah dude. I like it so much that a couple weeks after I purchased the amp, I bought the sanpera footswitch for it and now theres nothing that little {censored}er can't do. Its actually been a great tool to inspire great ideas for my next project.

• Members

Not a fan of wah's anymore but it wasn't bad. A bit better than the Line 6 stuff. The pitch shifter is average. Nothing mind blowing. Mostly everthing else on the amp like the treble booster, the boosts, mod fx and amp models themselves sounds awesome thanks to the revalver sound engine it uses.

• Members

Best moddler out there IMO. Thats until AXE PC is released. The only thing Revalver is missing on there is a good 80's crunch. I mean you can boost the plexi model and get there, but it's missing the more modern crunch tone. Other than that, the models sound incredible. Guitar Rig 4 is close second.

• Members

It actually does not use the Revalver engine... maybe someday soon though... What it uses is a 32 bit dual core SHARC processing chip... Quite powerful...

BUT.... the key to the tone being so damn good in such an affordable package is TRANSTUBE TECHNOLOGY (Peavey's patented solid state circuits that emulate tube sounds). All the distortion on the amp is ANALOG, we don't use the digital processor to create the gain tones... So they sound good, even at high volumes... Unlike our friendly competitors.

Thanks.

• Members

Ok, I'm glad it doesnt use Revalver technology.

I just dl'd the trial of Revalver.

:o

I got a great 5150ish sound in a few mins. w/ the tube screamer up front and the Sneap/GH impulse loaded.

I also found a good clean preset.

That's it.

There isn't a lead tone to be found among the presets that didn't sound like buzzy ass. Sorry, but that just sucks.

GR4 has some amazing lead tones, but the rhythm/muted stuff just doesn't sound natural.

I'm still getting the Vypyr.

Archived