BEFORE BECOMING A EXPERIENCED SONGWRITER..

KayoticMusic

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal

View Post

So, . . . , what am I trying to say?

Probably that the majority of people who have something worthwhile to say are also the personality types who don't reach out and grab us to listen?

A bit like the old sage said:

Those who speak do not know

Those who know do not speak

At least I think that might be sort of what you are saying....maybe....possibly......perhaps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle

View Post

Hey, where did Kayotic go? I hope he got something out of this thread...

Think his post may have been cleverly disguised spam. smile.gif That's OK, though (not really). It was a good starting point for discussion.

Regarding starting a song with a title or hook...it makes total sense to me, because that's the way I do it. Almost always works for me. But it may not work for everyone. I think it comes down to what way of writing is the most enjoyable for you, or what appeals to you the most. I suppose some people feel the adventure of songwriting comes from letting the song reveal itself, and not knowing exactly where it's going until it's done. Trying to direct the muse too much may take some of the excitement out of the journey for some people.

Whereas other people get enjoyment out of crafting a song...making it do exactly what you want it to do. I would definitely put myself in this category. I admit, doing it the other way--noodling around and hoping something just comes to me--doesn't appeal to me as much. I like feeling like I have control of the outcome. But that isn't to say the other approach isn't equally valid, and some great songs have been written that way. You do whatever gets you results.

Archived