Can you get a good metal tone from a Vox AC30?

riklite

• Members

Tone wise, I'm looking for something that can get me a good punchy tone when i tune to c standard or drop the c like drop d tuning. Band influences are Mastodon, Deftones, Stone Temple Pilots, Incubus, and Soundgarden. I know they don't all use the same amp but I'm looking for what would give me a ballpark sound for all. I was considering the AC30 because I know Dean from STP uses them and he's got a really good tone. I just don't know if it would work for some of the heavier stuff though. I'm also looking at a Mesa Tremoverb. I don't want "drown out the drummer" loud but if that's what I have to do to get good tone, so be it.

Based on this, skip the AC30 and get the Marshall 2203 or a Mesa.

• Members

Not sure how convincing the AC30 would be for metal but I'm sure its capable. The AC100 clean channel into H&K Warp Factor pedal is one of my favorite hi gain tones. Check out some Vox AC clips in my sig. The AC100 clean thru a H&K warp factor pedal easily cops metal tones including drop D and detuned. Without a pedal its a different story. The H&K Warp Factor is a great match with the AC100. Using the hi gain channel yeilds different results and can be frustrating depending on speakers, cabs, pickups, etc. On the clean channel the bass and presence need a different appraoch compared to a marshall or mesa. The Vox's Tone Cut knob interacts with presence and bass in a way that it may be easy to dial in to much fizz. Overall it has a petty broad sweet spots. Nowadays a used AC100 and 50 can be picked up for about $500. The clean channel is very good on its own. The amp definitely benefits from swapping out the stock el34s in favor of SED winged C.

• Members

Not sure how convincing the AC30 would be for metal but I'm sure its capable. The AC100 clean channel into H&K Warp Factor pedal is one of my favorite hi gain tones. Check out some Vox AC clips in my sig. The AC100 clean thru a H&K warp factor pedal easily cops metal tones including drop D and detuned. Without a pedal its a different story. The H&K Warp Factor is a great match with the AC100. Using the hi gain channel yeilds different results and can be frustrating depending on speakers, cabs, pickups, etc. On the clean channel the bass and presence need a different appraoch compared to a marshall or mesa. The Vox's Tone Cut knob interacts with presence and bass in a way that it may be easy to dial in to much fizz. Overall it has a petty broad sweet spots. Nowadays a used AC100 and 50 can be picked up for about $500. The clean channel is very good on its own. The amp definitely benefits from swapping out the stock el34s in favor of SED winged C.

...but that doesn't sound anything like an ac-30.

• Members

Sure, just crank it and put an overdrive in front. You can control the tightness and final eq /w speaker selection. Fully cranked, the tone will be full and warm and will cut through better than any master vol. amp. It won't have tons of low bass frequecies, but that is what a bass guitar/drum is for anyway.

• 10 years later...
  • Members
On 2/9/2010 at 6:45 PM, blargh said:

Give it a go, see what happens. Don't know why so many players use the same {censored}ing tones metal guitarists have been using for 20 years now, maybe metal wouldn't be so {censored}ing stagnant if people tried playing it on AC30s.

I just bought an AC10 for bedroom practice and I run an MT-2 With low distortion or a Sabbra Cadabra into it and get some beautiful sparkly metal tones that I don’t hear in common metal. I completely agree with you that everyone jumps to the same gear for a certain sound instead of coming up with their own. 

Archived