Guitar/Amp hum only at certain angles

BigED

• Members

My amp hums loudly when my guitar is at certain angles, but it goes away at other angles. If I sit near my amp on a swivel chair with my guitar, as I spin, I can make the noise come and go.

This happens with both of my guitars and they both have double-coil (humbucking) pickups. It's not the wires, because it also happens with my wireless.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

• Members

Some amount of noise is unavoidable. When you play, are you sitting near any fluorescent lighting, computer monitors or TVs? Those contribute to it as well.

If you're really concerned, you can shell out for a rackmount noise suppressor unit that can run both in front of your amp and in the FX loop, canceling out a whole lot of noise.

• Members

Keep away from electronics!

If there are no electronics that are on in the vicinity, check to see if there are any flourescent lighting in the area, if there are, turn them off.

If it is in fact the guitars that are causing the problem, what kind of amp are you playing and what volume is it set at? Does the volume affect the hum? What is your treble set at?

• Members

its funny i get the same sort of problem but it goes away when i turn my tone knob all the way down.

wierd.

In some amps, the treble settings can cause hum or excessive feedback when pushed. The Boogie Marks are known for this (and their morbidly-obese bass controls).

The tone control on the guitar shouldn't cause/cure to much of the problem. You may want to take a look at the electronics on the guitar and trouleshoot it to make sure there aren't any issues with the wiring (especially if it was a DIY job).

As far as the OPs problem, I would like to know if it is actually hum or feedback that he/she is experiencing. Since he/she stated that the problem was the same with several guitars, I am assuming that it is either an amp problem, or a problem is with electronics in the area.

Also, try plugging into a different electrical socket in a different room with all computers, televisions, lights, ect. turned off. If the hum is still noticable, there is absolutely something wrong with the amp.

It could be a number of things, but the best thing to do is check the easy things first. If the amp had a "ground" switch, ry different positions. If the hum doesn't go away, try lightly tapping the tubes on the amp with a pencil. If you hear any noise coming from the speaker, then replace the "offending" tube. If there is no problem with the tubes, you wouldhave to look at the chassis next. If you have experience (and feel comfortable with the stored voltages in the caps, I could recommend a few procedures), but if not, take the amp to a tech.

• Members

The EM fields that the guitar is picking up have direction, not just magnitude. The pickups only pick up the noise if they are oriented correctly. Unless you are in some kind of super noisy environment, it should be pretty hard to notice with humbuckers though, unless you are using a ton of gain. Shielding the guitar may help, and turning off any electronics in the area.

Archived