Do you learn parts of songs or the whole thing?

spawnofthesith

• Members

Since I have started playing I have had the rather bad habit and tendency (well bad habit in my mind at least) of only learning riffs and parts of songs that really interest me, and never really picking up the whole thing. (There are plenty of exceptions of course and if I truly love a song I will always learn it all the way through) but I was wondering if anyone else did this? Or do y'all always learn a song from start to finish?

• Members

Agreed. I'm in a fairly pro covers band but we never do anything remotely like the record - just pick out sections of cool songs we like , jam em out a few times in rehearsal and string it all together however we fancy on the night :D

Great fun but gives you all sorts of bad habits for when you do more serious work. I don't think I've ever learned a solo note-for-note though, which explains why my phrasing is {censored}e :idk:

• Members

I think every player especially guitar at one time did the 'wow cool riff' thing.
But a few times of playing along with a song or worse yet playing with others and you can't make it through the whole song you either get your crap together or you become what I like to call "joe {censored} the ragman" doing the look at me look at me wankery.:cop:

• Members
I think every player especially guitar at one time did the 'wow cool riff' thing.

But a few times of playing along with a song or worse yet playing with others and you can't make it through the whole song you either get your crap together or you become what I like to call "joe {censored} the ragman" doing the look at me look at me wankery.
:cop:

How did you know my nickname?

• Members

Got that term from my wife, its what her and her brother would call the goofs that had no clue of what they were talking about but acted like experts. Everyone knows a handful of these people. And now Joe {censored} The Ragman will foever be stuck in your head. buahahhahahahahahha:eek:

• Members

I don't try to learn songs unless I am in a band. It takes too much time, and it's of little value to me. I end up memorizing parts and whole songs here and there, but I don't set out to do so. When I want to play a song, I just put the music in front of me and play. Even when I record a song, I usually don't memorize it, but instead just play from the written sheet music.

Archived