WCR pickups anyone?

Vinchester

• Members

I've been contemplating upgrading from Duncan JB to something else.

I play metal (not really hi gain modern stuff though) and like good warm, full clean tone. To put it simply the JB in my alder Jackson Rhoads works ok, but my hunch really tell me that other pup WOULD be better in distortion.

I've been looking at WCR pickups esp. the IceBucker set. These are quite hard to find reviews for (esp. the ones with actual sound test). I might just buy the bridge pup but may also buy the neck if you guys convince me.:poke:

Any suggestion? Have any of you guys tried these?

• Members

I can't really help you much - I'm aflter the traditional PAF humbuckers sound myself - but I have a set of WCR Darkburst buckers in my ES-335. I found the stocks pickups a little harsh and tried the Darkbursts on the recc. of a buddy.

I like them a lot. They're not my favourite PAF clone humbucker but they're close enough to my fave to get a double thumbs up from me.

Quality pickups and good service. I can't see any reason for you not to try them.

• Members

kthx everyone. Jim from WCR just emailed me that he recommend American Steel set (crossroad-godwood) I hope they can handle metal well
:)

I've owned a few WCR pickups. Godwood is my fav all time bridge pickup. I have a GW/Darkburst combo in my McNaught and I have an Iron Man in a Iceman copy. That's a great pickup as well. Also had a Shredder in an SG which is Jim's take on a JB, but I think he stopped making it.

The GW can cover anything. I used that guitar for all the classic rock covers we did and also the Helmet and Sepultura ones. Great sound. I'm very curious to try the Icebuckers since they're similar, but higher output. You probably couldn't go wrong with either set.

• Members

I've owned a few WCR pickups. Godwood is my fav all time bridge pickup. I have a GW/Darkburst combo in my McNaught and I have an Iron Man in a Iceman copy. That's a great pickup as well. Also had a Shredder in an SG which is Jim's take on a JB, but I think he stopped making it.

The GW can cover anything. I used that guitar for all the classic rock covers we did and also the Helmet and Sepultura ones. Great sound. I'm very curious to try the Icebuckers since they're similar, but higher output. You probably couldn't go wrong with either set.

I see. thanks for your input.

Jim said the IceBucker is more articulate than Godwood. Considering Jon Schaffer's lightning fast gallop riffs, he prolly want his pups to sound very clear. Then again I start to think that the Icebucker is kinda "specialized" pup. At this point of my life as a musician I think I'd appreciate the AS set's versatility more.

ALSO, what's your take on Jim's 550K pot and electronic set? I'm kinda skeptical that it's worth the price. But then again my RR3 probably wont have the best components in there.

• Members

I don't have any experience with Jim's electronics, but I have used the upgrade kit and pots from RS Guitarworks. I can't really comment on any overall tonal difference because I also had pickups changed when the kit was installed. The difference in how the controls worked was noticeable. I replaced crappy Epiphone electronics and everything was much more usable. This upgrade was before they offered a "Superpot". These were just CTS pots.

The RS Superpot is nice. It has a really smooth taper. It's probably very similar to what Jim is offering as it is basically the same specs from the same company.

If you've got the money to burn, go for it. Just getting some CTS post would probably still be an upgrade and be a bit cheaper.

• Members

You are looking at the wrong pickup company, imo. At least going off of the OP. You are going to shell out a {censored} ton of cash on a company that basically makes ONE set of pickups for really heavy apps. This is just my opinion, but don't get stuck on a name. The best upgrade for metal from a JB that I've come across costs the same fricken price as one and is handmade with parts as good as ANY of the handwinders. At least consider the BG Hellabucker.

good luck.

• Members

You are looking at the wrong pickup company, imo. At least going off of the OP. You are going to shell out a {censored} ton of cash on a company that basically makes ONE set of pickups for really heavy apps. This is just my opinion, but don't get stuck on a name. The best upgrade for metal from a JB that I've come across costs the same fricken price as one and is handmade with parts as good as ANY of the handwinders. At least consider the BG Hellabucker.

good luck.

I appreciate your input. Will check it out.

• Members

I've talked to Jim a few times, hes a character but he backs it all up and makes some serious pickups, I miss my old Goodwoods. I also talked to him about the Icebuckers, they are not any hotter than the Goodwoods, they are just wound with unbalanced coils for a clearer more open high end. Since IMO the Goodwood is one of the ultimate bridge pickups, the Icebucker would be an excellent choice if you want to sacrifice a touch of the Goodwood's thickness for extra clarity.

Archived