solid state instead of tubes.....

need more gain

• Members
Have you tried looking a the the sudden jump in small tube amps? I just picked up a Vox AC4TV and it's a fantastic little single ended tube amp that cost right above $200 and sound great at low volumes, takes pedals really well. Inexpensive tube tone that won't cost an arm and a leg to repair if anything were to happen, not that it would.

:facepalm: I am a little embarr. i had not loked into these. they are perfect for me....clean, a little grit for blues and i can get a wampler pinnacle for gain and all at low vol.:thu::thu:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
thank you sir....i think i will keep in tube amps for now...good call:thu:

Good to hear man. :thu:
Just take you time and try everything you can get your hands on.
Music stores aren't the best place for trialling an amp.
An ampfest would be a better way to go.
Any ampfests coming up in your area?

I know the search for "the" amp can be very frustrating, but no solid state amp's gain I've ever experienced can compete with the warmth and richness of a good tube amp's gain.
And that's coming from someone who used to swear by a JC-120 with pedals.

• Members
:facepalm:
I am a little embarr. i had not loked into these. they are perfect for me....clean, a little grit for blues and i can get a wampler pinnacle for gain and all at low vol.
:thu:
:thu:

Yeah man definitely try one out, well worth the scratch. And they make great projects, you can upgrade the speakers, tubes and even transformers if you want.

And like I said they take pedals like a champ, it loves my fuzzes. You can go from 1/4 watt up to a whooping 4 watts which is actually too loud for apartment playing but much cleaner :thu:

And you get a warranty when you buy new, something you might be interested in ;)

Archived