c'mon in mesa roadster owner

badintention

• Members

Go in and play one, make your mind up for yourself. :thu:

I don't have the combo, I have the head with a mesa cab. If I had to do it over again, I still would go with the Roadster, but I'd opt for a couple of 2x12 cabs. Actually I am planning on ordering a Buzzbomb 2x12 after Earcandy starts taking orders again.

I don't get to play as much as I would like to, but so far I am thrilled with the amp. No complaints, no bull{censored}. The Roadster is the only Mesa I've played, so I cant really compare the two.

• Members

If you like the Roadster, get the Roadster.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I find it's a fight to get a decent soloing tone out of a Roadster or any DR, whereas it's easy to get an excellent soloing tone out of a Mark IV. I also prefer tight midrangy grind to the bottom heavy, loose DR sound. If I didn't have a Mark V, my second choice Mesa amp would be IV, followed then maybe by a Stiletto Deuce stage II.

• Members

Convince me to or not to trade my mark iv head for a roadster 2x12 combo.

what will i gain and what will i lose?

Pics and specs of Mark IV in question???

As for tone, the Roadster will be much darker than your Mark IV, but the sound will be more...how do I put it..."Hi-Fi" than the Mark amps. The Roadster has emphasis in the lower mids, has some "bouncier" cleans, but be prepared to spend some quality time dialing in the dirty channels. IMO, the Rectos sound more "alive" and less "sterile" than the Marks.

The Mark amps are tight, articulate, and versatile as well, but they have TONS of mids, whereas the Rectos have a "naturally-scooped" voicing.

For me, I find that the Recto makes chords sound more alive, and is definately "thicker" than a Mark IV. Right now, I am a bigger fan of my Mark IV because I am playing alot of thrash metal, which requires a tight amp, and I feel that the Mark outshines the Recto in this area.

BTW, if you decide to get rid of the Mark IV, PM what you want for it and some pics...

• Members
dont do it buddy boy roadster is the biggest pain in the ass amp made by mesa and needs 40 boosts to make it run even remotley tight
:lol:

:lol:

It's not THAT bad, but "looser" is the correct term to use when comparing a Roadster to a Mark.

• Members

thanks for your answer.

well im almost going to trade it for the roadster BUT its hard to do for me since i like my mark iv so f****much. But on the other side i would also like to have a more 2010 sounding amp you know...?

Since i have the iv ive always want to have something else... but every time i play it, something is telling me that i would regret getting rid of it.

Ive also been looking at the engl powerball special edition but to me , it seem to be the most overpriced amp ever build :confused: what do you think?

Archived