HELP! I can't deactivate Lead 2 on my Mesa Quad!

rlord1974

• Members

BELOW PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED. THANKS!!!

----------------------------------------------

Hi All:

When I turn my Quad Preamp on, the Lead 2 LED is already lit. According to the users manual, this should not occur as, during power up, the Quad should revert to a "no mode" status until a particular mode is actually selected by the user by way of the footswitch or use of the external switching jacks.

In playing through it I have determined that Lead 2 is always engaged/activated - that is, even if I engage Rhythm 1, 2 or Lead 1, the Lead 2 LED remains lit and the Channel 2 controls still impact the tone.

I have tried disengaging/deactivating Lead 2 using the Lead 2 external switch jack on the rear of the unit, but it remains engaged with the LED on.

I have tried disengaging/deactivating Lead 2 using midi program change commands (I have the rare midi Quad), but it remains engaged with the LED on.

Has anybody ever had the same or similar problem (i.e., one of the channels being permanently activated) and, if so, can you offer any advice as to how to resolve the issue? Perhaps I can fix it myself, or maybe I need to take it to a tech?

Thanks!

• Members

I have the same problem except its with the R1, its engaged at all times so I cant use L1 without blending the two together. I also have a Matrix and it wont disengage, from what I researched...... its probably the Optocoupler, which controls the switching system, or someone rigged the jack to always be grounded.

• Members

Thanks.

Did you post this on The Boogie Forum last year as well? I think I might have seen your thread there earlier today.

If R1 is always engaged, it would actually impact all of your settings. Regardless of whether you select L1, R2 or L2, you will always also be hearing your R1 settings layered on top as well.

Have you investigated having this fixed?

• Members

Thanks.

Did you post this on The Boogie Forum last year as well? I think I might have seen your thread there earlier today.

If R1 is always engaged, it would actually impact all of your settings. Regardless of whether you select L1, R2 or L2, you will always also be hearing your R1 settings layered on top as well.

Have you investigated having this fixed?

I have to kill the master volume on the 1 side so it doesn't blend into the 2 side. Sucks, and ya boogie board is a ghost town, maybe get better responses here. I checked the jack and that wasn't it, the optocouplers are about $8 each, and I believe there are two per channel, problem is I dont know which two because there are at least 16 of them. The amount of work to remove the board and all the pots looks like a nightmare even if I did know which ones to swap out.

• Members

I have a quad pre too but rarely use it, but that will change in few days when it's officially spring break! I have never had any prolems with my quad I'd like to get a midi matrix thing so i could play with two channels engaged that sounds reall {censored}ing sweet.

• Members

I have a quad pre too but rarely use it, but that will change in few days when it's officially spring break! I have never had any prolems with my quad I'd like to get a midi matrix thing so i could play with two channels engaged that sounds reall {censored}ing sweet.

Well mine will be up for sale if I can fix this channel issue. When you fire up your Quad its in "no mode" essentially, or no channel is lit?

• Members

I just solved my issue. It was more basic than I would have thought. Somewhat embarassing, in fact :facepalm:. Regardless, I'll share, on the off chance it might help OC Cub or someone else.....

I have the midi Quad with three inputs for receiving channel switching commands:

1.) Midi in jack

2.) FU-2 footswitch in jack

3.) Abacus in jack

I use the Abacus for the time being.

On my unit, there is a silver, 2 position rocker switch on the back panel that is directly under the input jack for the standard FU2A footswitch. I powered up my unit, flicked the switch back and forth twice and PRESTO, issue was gone! Even on multiple power ups, I am not experiencing the issue anymore. I'm not sure if a standard Quad has a similar rocker switch but, if it does, play with it a bit - it might just solve your problem! :thu:

BTW: The preamp sounds KILLER!!!

Cheers :wave:

Archived