Help! Still can't decide- Vintage 30, G12M, G12H 30

axuality

• Members

I want to fill a 4x12 with speaks for my JCM800 combo. I don't play much metal. I don't want different kinds in the same cabinet, and I can't (won't) afford the Heritage speakers.

I listened to a great comparison the other day (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=660762 --and thank you

...and the G12H and G12M greenback sounded THIN compared to the V30. But a lot of you really don't like the mid spike of the V30. Also I think the 12M sounded smoother than the 12H.

I think I prefer the V30 sound, but so many of you don't, I'm still not sure. Things don't always sound the same once you get them in your cabinet, and with that many V30 deniers, I don't want to make that mistake.

Comments? help

Thanks,
B

• Members

What sort of tones are you going for???

V30/G12H30 makes a great combination for me...

If you're after more vintage tones why aren't you considering Greenbacks or their high powered brethren (65's....G12K85s...etc)..I'd take these before considering G12T75s..

• Members
What sort of tones are you going for???

V30/G12H30 makes a great combination for me...

If you're after more vintage tones why aren't you considering Greenbacks or their high powered brethren (65's....G12K85s...etc)..I'd take these before considering G12T75s..

Well the G12M I mentioned is the greenback I'm considering. They just seem thinner than the V30. What a dilemma. :)

• Members
Well the G12M I mentioned is the greenback I'm considering. They just seem thinner than the V30. What a dilemma.
:)

Sorry..I missed the G12M in your script...but I've never really thought of them as thin.... well...the v30 does have that prominent, agressive spike and tight low end that make it suited to the metalz...

Unfortunately looking for speakers is a bigger can of worms than finding an amp in my opinion...you won't know what you like most until you've tried a few.

I settled on v30/G12h30 in one cab for more aggressive tones and currently WGS ET-65/G12K85 in the other for a more vintage tone...although that could easily have been ET-65/Green Beret or ET-65/v30 or G12k85/v30...all of which sounded great.

• Members

H30s. One of my all time favorites. Almost as warm as a greenback but with better low end and top end. Second choice would be greenbacks. I wouldn't run all V30s, but they would worked well mixed with H30s.

• Members

I would think that if you are even considering greenbacks and V30's - you should probably go with G12H-30's. IMHO greenbacks and V30's are pretty much opposites - and G12H-30's are in the middle, although without the mid spike of a V30.

• Members

I would think that if you are even considering greenbacks and V30's - you should probably go with G12H-30's. IMHO greenbacks and V30's are pretty much opposites - and G12H-30's are in the middle, although without the mid spike of a V30.

i'd say they're just different. as far as sound, the gb is definitely closer to g12h30 (same cone).

• Members

v30's record better and almost always will sound better in mic'ed comparisons

but don't be fooled by the loudness and bigger midrange

in the room, both G12M and G12H sound better than the V30 with most amps, imo

I used to be a G12T75 hater, but my marshall sounds much better through them than with V30's and G12H's

its scooped midrange and huge low end help to balance the amp

it's an aggressive speaker, but it smooths out the upper mids in a good way for a marshall

I'm gonna try to match them with my greenback/silver bell clones

Archived