Crate V50 thoughts ?

Cap'n Ahole

• Members

I was involved in some of those projects. Frankly, the ones they did first - before i was involved - were quite good.

you really aren't saying that it went downhill after you got involved, are you?

well maybe - it sounds like it..............

• Members

The older models (made in St. Louis?) were fantastic amps. I played a v3112 (V30) at a local store a few years ago and was blow away by them. I still wish I would have bought one.

A couple of years later the owner told me he had one left and said he wouldn't be getting anymore. He said they sent him the redesigned models and he sent them back, refusing to carry them. He thought they just didn't compare to the older ones. The older ones can be found on ebay for pretty cheap, though.

• Members

-Reporting Back- :wave:

Took my friend to check it out at the sellers house. & just got back..

The thing was clean & well taken care of, but sounded like.... Well to be fair, the clean was great, but the gain Ch was horrid. Just terrible IMO.

The funny thing is, I HAVE TRIED some of their lower wattage V-series (V-18,V33 (I think the creme colored ones)) & was IMPRESSED. However, I could find no use for THIS things gain channel, it seemed very.. fuzz oriented? Even with the bass all the way down, it was bassy. Oh well..

• Members

The creme colored ones were part of the original V-series/Palomino. The V18 and V33 have the same fizzy, muddy, shrill, bassy gain as the V50

The new V-series are straight up garbage. At least you didn't make the mistake of buying this one

I have a V33H. It's neither fizzy, nor muddy, nor shrill. It is bassy, though.

Different strokes for different folks, buddy.

• Members

sorry I am late getting back to this, I was traveling. Yes, I AM saying it went downhill AFTER I got involved. This is of course a long story, but the simple version is they also hired a completely different engineering team. the amp as picture has a tube pre, tube power, and has a switching power supply. they thought this type of modernization would lower weight and improve reliability which it did. It also, not having an output transformer, sounds not so good with anything other than clean tones - as was state above...

The cream ones were built and sold only through GC - aka Palomino. The black ones with the same industrial design as the cream ones were identical but sold everywhere not GC. Both are VERY good amps. Subassemblies from China, final assembly in Arkansas.

The one in the photo... I will just say NOT recommended.

• Members

Yeah - there were certainly some issues on the last run [black ones]. I have both an early V8 [cream Palomino] and a later V33H. Both needed modding.

In the case of the V33, it really appears 2 components got switched between the design and final production phases as the gain channel issues go away by simply moving those 2 parts around. But once you have it open, there are some other mods that really turn the amp into a screamer.

Here are my 2 threads FWIW:

V33 -> http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2118282

V8 -> http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20597125

• Members

and a later V33H. Both needed modding.

In the case of the V33, it really appears 2 components got switched between the design and final production phases as the gain channel issues go away by simply moving those 2 parts around. But once you have it open, there are some other mods that really turn the amp into a screamer.

Here are my 2 threads FWIW:

V33 ->

V8 ->

thanks, good info!

Archived