Are there any practice amps that work for both guitar and bass?

Li Shenron

• Members

I am going to soon get my first bass guitar, and although I'm going to use it only to fill a gap in the band while recording some demo, I certainly am going to need to practice with it at home.

I only have a Squier amp for my guitar at home for practicing. It's barely fine for a guitar, so I seriously doubt I can use the bass with it...

But instead of buying a new practice amp solely for the bass, I wonder if I should target an amp that could be usable with both instruments, and then get rid of the old Squier. If it had 2 different input jacks, one for the bass and one for the guitar, it would be an added benefit, but it's not essential.

Keep in mind that I'm going to use it in an apartment building, so I won't be able to use it loud.

• Members

Most bass amps wont have overdrive so unless you just want clean get any normal practice amp and when you are using bass be careful of volume.

Funny story...I work at a music store and once a kid came in asking if he could plug the new guitar he got into his bass amp at home. I told him it should be okay but there is a risk of fire when you do that so be careful :D

• Members
Most bass amps wont have overdrive so unless you just want clean get any normal practice amp and when you are using bass be careful of volume.

I use distortion pedals rather than the amp's overdrive, so that's not a problem.

BTW, I know that I could just plug into any amp :p I meant to ask for a solution that is fairly decent for both instruments with 1 amp only (to limit space). Clearly it doesn't have to deliver a cool sound like a gig amp, but for practicing I need at least a decent response that would allow me to hear the unwanted noise generated by sloppy playing, in order to work on correcting it.

• Members

I had some Martin "Stinger" (actually still have it! :lol:) 1x8 combo guitar amp I used for almost a year before I got my Peavey Microbass (which I also still have). I plug into both of 'em from time to time and the guitar amp still works fine. Just don't go overkill on the Bass and Mids control and the bass shouldn't fry your amp. A good many bassists use guitar rigs anyway for their overdrive and crunch. There are very few really choice OD/disto options for bass w/out going to a semi-guitard amp rig.

Archived