Been playing the Single Recto for about an hour - 1st impressions and questions

guitarbilly74

• Members
So I got the Single Rec. After an initial period of WTF ( it had bad power tubes and it was squealing and had no balls at all - fixed it with a set of SED EL34's), I am very impressed so far. The amp sounds tight, focused, great clarity on the lead tones, really cool. Right out the box I got that typical Recto tone with huge, loose low and and scooped mids, but boosting the mids and lowering the bass proved to be VERY effective.

Right now I am getting a great ROCK tone tons of mids and definition.

Boosting it with the SD-1 worked really well too, I still need to try my OCD and my MXR 10-band, but I really have no complaints about the tone with the SD-1. Despite the lack of reverb, the amp doesn't sound dry at all, my DSL is much drier with the verb off.

Now I have a few questions:

1- the amp came with Mesa EL34's and I replaced them with SED EL34's but I don't have any 6L6's to try. What the consesus regarding the best power tubes for this amp??

2- what's the consensus on the best boost?

3 what about speakers. I have the 75's in my cab and it sounds fine but what would be the best speakers to work with this amp.

I know all the above is subjective, I just want some opinions. The pointers I got on the other thread REALLY gave me a head start on on the amp.

:thu:

I don't think you can go wrong with a Recto and SED EL34, but since you only need a pair just order up a set of 6L6, and see which you prefer. I've only played with Mesa STR 420 6L6GC, and SED EL34, and got good tones with each, though I much prefer the EL34.

As far as good speaker matches, obviously V30, I love EV12L with mine, the Vet 30 and ET65 both sounded nice too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Remember, with a Mesa V30 cab you're getting the Mesa customized V30's that have been treated by Mesa so they're a little different than other V30's. What makes the Recto 2x12 (the horizontal Recto 2x12 cab) so good is their V30's and that cab and it's obviously made for the Recto amps. If you like it with 75's now wait till you hear it with this cab.

Archived