My amp

bcjames

• Members

Hey all,

I built this amp a while ago. Its an AX84 P1 circuit modified with a few extras. Lone 12ax7 and an EL84 give it around 6 watts of usable tube power! I got kinda lost on some of the power wiring, but got some help, and got it done in the end :thu: Credit where its due to Mark (cant remember your surname!) for helping me out!

Some pics...

ampthreequarter.jpg

ampback.jpg

ampcontrols.jpg

Controls are, left to right:

Break-up Hi/Lo, Bright switch, Gain, Treble, Middle, Bass, Master, then Standby and Power.

ampinsidecopy.jpg

Thats inside it. Ive had a bit of a tidy up since, but its quiet as is, so I dare not move things around too much!

Its a real cool amp. With the master on half, and the gain on half, its beyond what I'd say is a good apartment level. The master is on there as I live at uni. With it all dimed, its pretty loud! It keeps up with my drum kit in the lounge, although its not got the power to gig un-aided.

The original kit came from Ceriatone, then some bits added by Mark, soldered by me, and voila! Was really fun, if a little annoying at times (!), to make!

Im planning a twin-channel 20ish watt head next, once my exams are over, watch this space!

Just thought I'd share it with you guys now we have a DIY forum :)

• Members

Good looking work. Did you do the cabinet as well? Very sharp.

The switches at the input... I'm guessing "bright" and "boost" (cuts out the cathode capacitor). Is that right?

How does it sound with a boost or OD driving the input?

While we're showing our amps off, here is a shot of my Octal Fatness build on top of my first amp, a Lightning clone:

1627186OFLightning.jpg

• Members

The cabinet was built for me! Living in a flat, I can only really do the electronics side. The two switches were the bit Mark added, not sure how they work to be honest! Ill look into it for you though!

Thats a nice looking pair of amps there. Id dig a Lightning clone :thu:

• Members

This is my 18watt TMB that I completed this past january...she was born, ironically, the same day my daughter was.

sIII.jpg

On the left is my Carmen Ghia clone, sitting on top of a 1X12 cab that I built myself (loaded with an Emi Red Fang). On the right, is a Lightning clone that I never got working the way I wanted. It later got gutted and parts of it got repurposed into two other builds (Z28 clone and an upcoming 2204 build). The cab on the right is a 2X12 with a Celestion V30/G12H30 pair.

jibnlight.jpg

• Members

That Ghia looks awesome. I thought about doing a TMB aswell, as its giggable, but I think I want something more modern.

Any chance of some dimensions from the cab? I have a spare speaker, so the only natural thing is to build a cab for it :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by bcjames

That Ghia looks awesome. I thought about doing a TMB aswell, as its giggable, but I think I want something more modern.

Any chance of some dimensions from the cab? I have a spare speaker, so the only natural thing is to build a cab for it
:thu:

Which cab??? I'll give you any dimensions you want...

Archived