Fender HRDlx bias problem.

Guitarist4life

• Members

I bought a pair of SED 6L6gc power tubes for my hot rod deluxe about 5 years ago, but I never used them because the lowest I could go with the bias pot was about 82mA..

These were marked "28" at the tubestore.com place.

Now that I need to replace the old 6l6 I have, I would like to see if I can bias the SED first. I heard that replacing a resistor on the bias circuit would change the range of the bias pot and allow lower mA readings. I'm no expert in electronics, but I find my way easily around with the soldering iron and replacing caps and resistors here and there...the problem is that I have no idea what resistor I should replace in this case, much less what value.. lol

I would really appreciate if someone who knows about this helps me.

Here's the schematic

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fenderamps/hotrod_deluxe.pdf

Using the coordinates on the side and bottom of the document, the bias circuit is at (A, 5), The bias pot is marked R82.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Experiment with R77. Bring it up in value to bring down the -50v to the bias circuit. Try 150k ?

Thanks! Does it matter what wattage? The stock R77 100k resistor looks like 1/4 watt (judging by the size :confused: ) I only have a 1/2 watt 200k and I wanted to try that and see if it works.. but I'm afraid of burning something because of the wattage. :facepalm:

• Members
Experiment with R77. Bring it up in value to bring down the -50v to the bias circuit. Try 150k ?

It didn't work : /
Im sure it was the 100k (r77) I was messing with. I tried a 200k resistor and it didn't change much... With the stock 100k, the lowest it would go was 82mA, with the 200k the lowest was 75mA.. Then I tried a 470k and the lowest was still about 75mA. :confused:

Archived