1993 Mesa Dual rec drop in gain

• Members

My Mesa is having a drop in gain, about a week ago it had some staticgain drop issues that would occur regularly I replaced a cable and the problem went away, I'm not sure if the issues are related.

Now it just has a muddyness and drop of gain that happens, there are no wierd hums or hisses or microphonics.

I'm guessing it's tubes but usually when I've had a tube failure it's always been accompanied by hum of some sort.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

• Members

Well this is a bummer, I wish it was tubes. Plugged into my other amp and the same issue, so now I got an incredibly intermittent problem that is either caused by, a failing cable going from my guitar to my wah or wah to amp, one of about 20 cables in my effects rig, a pedal itself, or an electronics issue with my new guitar.

HURRAY! I love issues that are impossible to diagnose.

• Members

Well this is a bummer, I wish it was tubes. Plugged into my other amp and the same issue, so now I got an incredibly intermittent problem that is either caused by, a failing cable going from my guitar to my wah or wah to amp, one of about 20 cables in my effects rig, a pedal itself, or an electronics issue with my new guitar.

HURRAY! I love issues that are impossible to diagnose.

Ugh, I hate diagnosing bad cables. It can take forever. But, then again, figuring out which pre-amp tube is going bad can take some time too.

• Members
Ugh, I hate diagnosing bad cables. It can take forever. But, then again, figuring out which pre-amp tube is going bad can take some time too.

Luckily I only run 2 cables between my guitar and my amp, so first thing I do is swap both of those out, if that doesn't fix it then it's annoying, I run about 20 in the effects loop. It's a pretty compact rig anyways.

I can't seem to get it to reoccur right now, I actually think it might be a power issue, I've had some issues with other devices in the room recently but whatever. If it never happens again who cares :thu:

• Members

With a complex rig like that you can save a lot of time with the 50/50 method of diagnostics. That is, eliminate half of your pedalboard at a time by pluggin into the middle of it. If the problem is still there, cut that in half and so on. You should be able to narrow it down to the faulty cable in 3 or 4 iterations. That is, if you can reliably reproduce the problem...

• Members
With a complex rig like that you can save a lot of time with the 50/50 method of diagnostics. That is, eliminate half of your pedalboard at a time by pluggin into the middle of it. If the problem is still there, cut that in half and so on. You should be able to narrow it down to the faulty cable in 3 or 4 iterations. That is, if you can reliably reproduce the problem...

:thu:

Archived